Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

A white frizzle naked neck now that is a beautiful bird. I like all colors of chickens but white has always been my favorite.

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Really like these.Where did the dark skin come from ? Can't wait to see when you finally get a naked neck mottled houdan.

3. Those white NNs are fabulous!

4. I'm in awe, Joe. Why do you call them Hoodas?

5. This is a bantam from bantam NN x LF Polish
    [​IMG]
    These are from NN x LF Polish
    [​IMG]
    Same cross, this is the one with the wispy beard.
    [​IMG]
    And I have a couple of these Silkie x LF barred NN green-egger youngsters
    [​IMG]

6. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    i call them hoodas because they are homozigus NN over motteled houdan or houdan nacked neck "hooda" for short

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Sorry you got negative words about the NN that way.. I got pretty "strong words" about my projects from a serious NN breeder many years ago.. continued my projects anyways but will admit his words did sting a bit and made me stop talking about them for a very long time.

I'm still doing projects but nowhere as cool/fun as all those recent pictures. :)

8. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Thought I'd might mention since all those crested birds are coming up lately- if the goal is large, full size crests as on polish or houdans- I'd suggest breeding some of them back to pure polish/houdan/breed of your choice.

Crested NN was one of my past projects- for some reason it was really difficult to get birds with crests with long feathers(which was my goal), so many ended up with full size head knobs at hatch but the feathers were short or medium length so the crests ended up either small or medium when they matured.

My outcross was with polish, crossing them back with pure polish did help with longer feathers on the crests.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  9. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yep, you got a nice variety- seems several are silver wheatens/silver buffs?

For many years, the majority of NN from hatcheries are buff/orange hens and reddish roosters along a smaller percentage of 'mostly black' birds. Still seems to be the usual from some hatcheries.. its' nice to see some variety showing up such as buff with mottling in recent years plus your own chicks.

I wonder if the buffs might fit the standard, I'm still unclear if colored tails are allowed on LF buff and reds?

Congrats on your NN polish chick!

10. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    So many super cool birds! I love them all. But Joe's hooda has my attention...today anyway. I'm so fickle.

Kev, I appreciate the sympathy but no one in particular said anything to beat me into submission for breeding SOP. It was more the impressions one gets over a period of time of watching, reading, and listening, and feeling this is what I should do.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by