Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I released everyone for the first time yesterday.Just wanted everyone to get used to being here before I did so.Everyone got along great,just a few skirmishes but nothing major.My property and the surrounding property is heavily wooded so everybody staked out their territory and got along great and last night when I went around to fasten everyone up everyone was accounted for.Those 2 girls are my favorite.Thanks again for trusting me with your birds,they are gorgeous and thanks to you I now have the most unusual and the most colorful flock. When you get ready for eggs let me know and I will separate the ones you want eggs from.Follow me on byc and I will be posting pics often.

2. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    It sounds like everything is going well! Thank you for taking them in. I know they are in good hands! [​IMG] Pennie wants to be a Mom so badly so she might go broody on you again soon.

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I hope everyone is doing alright! Haven't checked in here for awhile. I'm going to start collecting some NN eggs to put in the incubator.
    I've been seeing to many Cute, chick pictures lately and it has been driving me crazy!

Does anyone have Bantam Turkens? I want to buy a early Christmas present for myself. :eek:)

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think this Goshawk could get a goose if it wanted to.. If they are hungry enough.. Thankfully goshawks are very secretive birds, and I don't think it's nesting nearby. I've penned all the bantams (silkies) and the standards better get used to fleeing... I made a few hideouts, but the ones that I've penned are really the birds that are easily swooped down on (can't see above them).

and Thank you! :D

I just had 2 NN chicks hatch today. Still 2 more with pips. Both are barred, so Brian is not the daddy :p but they are naked necked.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yikes, there's just coopers, maybe sharpshins around here plus red tails. the red tails just have never went after the chickens.. although there is another large hawk that at a glance looks like a red tail, except they are heavily barred all over and seems to hunt more like accipiter(sp?)- it likes to sit in/fly between trees despite being pretty big(about same size as red tail).. anyways this kind does go after chicks and makes occasional swoops at the chickens.

sigh everybody's hatching chicks except me it seems....

6. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Nice! The salmon fav color has slightly complex genetics, can't remember what the 'recipe' is right now. Best of luck with your move and glad a bunch of your birds found a good home with GeorgiaBoy!

7. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Nice birds. are you trying for salmon color too? I can't remember the genetics for the salmon coloring.. that silkie roo doesn't have the black breast, he will cause offspring with light breasts... Really like that 'grizzle' coloring on silkie pullet behind him.

8. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    hi guys,
    maybe some of you can help me with a problem.i have an extra young rooster-5months.he happens to be a NN.my first and only one i hatched out.i really like him but don't have any plans for him in my breeding pens for next year.the only girls i can come up with to put him with are Easter Eggers/olive eggers.all of the girls have a pea comb and lay green eggs.
    does any one have any pictures of this cross?i have never heard of one but i hate to get rid of him.he has kinda grown on me a little.he is white with a little black barring and a cute bow tie.

thanks for any tips.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My NN are a cross with Ameraucana, NN and Barred Rock. The girls all lay a green egg and have pea combs, and my male is red/white and has a pea comb. Since EEs have very similar traits to Ameraucana, I would say they would come out to have mostly pea combs, but a few with single combs. I would keep a few girls that have pea combs, and breed them back to your boy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: I guess to be technical "Modified Pea Combs" :p

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  10. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    A few pics from today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jaxom is getting some color to those black feathers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The houdans, this last pic of them just makes me smile even though it is out of focus.

[​IMG]
    and Mensa who gets prettier by the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Most of the flock enjoying the dubia feast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by