Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I found out that my NNs are always broody, at least more often than my other breeds, i dont like that since i bought a really good incubator, i need them laying but, thats a NN for ya!!!!!

im pretty confident that you will be satisfied with a NN for your hatching needs.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yes, I have read that crosses from a blue laying chicken to a brown laying chicken - the offspring that have pea combs have a 95% chance at a coloured egg. The ones with single combs have a 95% chance at a brown egg. None will lay blue.

I do have Houdans, so I will try out the houdan x NN cross. How many generations to get the mottling? Anyone know?

If I use my black NN girls to my Mottled Houdans...

At last check, we have 4 barred NNs that have hatched :love

Pictures to come when I get them out of the incubator.

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    From what I've been told 2 generations, but do not yet have a houdan boy to check it out for myself. The first gen cross will be the hooda's that I post, if you cross those females (who carry mottling but can't express since they only have one copy) back to the mottled father (or a mottled roo) their chicks can be mottled since they can inheirit mottling from both parents. But I would assume that would be the P...... square thing and be a 25% / 25% / 50% thing.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'll test that out :)

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I haven't found my NN hens to be excessively broody, but I'm comparing with Brahmas largely and they are VERY broody.

Kassaundra, you may well be right about my Misfit as I'm going to call my odd grey bird with the unequal face. Though I had assumed it to be a normal male...well aside from the face that is, I have noticed that he appears to have rounded as well as pointed neck feathers, some saddle feathers but no real blocks of colour anywhere, so not really male or female feather pattern.
    I am sure that you, Kev and some others will know. If there is gynandromorphy, I'm assuming that there can be a mixture of male and female cells without the cells having to be concentrated on one or other side of the body.Is this true? I read a story about someone who had a 'cockerel' who went on to lay eggs....but I think that the bird in question was a dominant hen with big comb and wattles who crowed occasionally to show she was alpha. So I'm not really knowing what to expect from Misfit.....an egg laying bird who crows, or one where the male and female hormones balance each other out to give a quiet non-egg layer?

I look forward to seeing those barred NN babies, aoxa.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    IMO, turkens are better setters and mothers than silkies or bantam cochins. Less problems.

as for frequency, it varies a bit.. some are rather quick, some lay a 'million eggs' before setting most somewhere in between. as mothers overall they are very good. I use them to set and raise peachicks.

turkens mixed with silkies or any breed usually are really good broodies and mothers...

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    yep second generation.

any cross(sex don't matter) bred back to a mottled= 50% blacks carrying mottle, 50% mottled.

brother to sister= 25% no mottled gene, 50% mottled carriers, 25% mottled. the thing about this cross, if the NN parent in the first cross was a color other than black, some other colors will show up.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Georgia Boy, still loving that splash!

Question. How soon do these lay? Are they all different, or are they like some breeds and start to lay early, the norm, or later? My white girl is only 10 and a half weeks old, but she is looking so much like a hen than a pullet now. Maybe 16 weeks? That would be fun.

Hey, I have a son out there in Americus now. He's been there a week now. It looks like the weather is up around the 60's in the day, in the mid to high 30's at night. Nice.

9. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks.waiting for her to start laying.Don't exactly know how old she is.I would say 5 1/2 to 6 months.Some start later and in my experience polish pullets are slower in starting to lay.Yes we are having beautiful fall weather.

10. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Plan on pairing these two,what is your(everyone's[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

) opinion?What color offspring would I get?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by