Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Fibromelanotic = black skin, meat, organs. Silkies are the most common breed in the US that are fibromelanotic.
    They can have varying degrees of Fm or can *carry* it and it doesn't show.
    I don't understand it completely, but I lovelovelove the way they look : )

2. Becky! I forgot to ask how you made it through the snowstorm and if you got water going again. Hope everything was OK.

3. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    My DH had to go out in the snow and take extention cords to the spring house and do a lot of fiddling and then had to take a compressor and blow air out of the lines. Finally got water back on. Snow is now mostly melted. Yea! Now all is good to go!

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I think this chick looks like a child standing w/ crossed legs saying "I gotta goooo"

5. Flowerbh

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Yes, she does! hahaha. So, two of my NN eggs turned out to be feathered necked. These two chicks have pea combs and should lay greenish eggs. Because they and not Naked Necked, are they considered EEs even if they came from NN parents? They will not have beards or muffs.

6. You can call them anything you like : ) The girls will lay some shade of blue / green egg and the boys carry the 'blue egg gene' --- I call them Green-Eggers. To me, 'easter egger' implies they could lay any color egg.

7. Flowerbh

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Now to see if any are frizzled!!!!

8. You'll be able to tell pretty quick --- at 3- or 4-days-old. Look at the new feathers that come in on their wing tips. If those have a slight curl, you have frizzle. *Fingers crossed* you have all frizzle girls : )

9. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Growing any plant out here in the SW desert is a big challenge. Even when I move back to AZ at 5K feet I need shade cloth over then entire garden. Most plants fry up in constant sun. Only two areas where there is some afternoon shade. I need to get back there and start watering my trees. I see no eveidence that the tenants watered anything.

10. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    [​IMG] That is exactly what I was thinking. You can call them whatever you want !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by