Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Pictures of babies from my Red Mottled NN. These are the last by him. He is no more, he jumped me his last time.

First five pictures are out of the 3 red hens that were with him and the last picture are from the barred hens.

Here are some babies from one of my newest roosters. The Blue Cream Partridge rooster.? These are the only ones that I'll have from hiim, he's been relocated.

These two are out of the Silver Partridge Green Egger NN hen.

Okay, these aren't naked necked. They should have been. Both parents were Naked Necked. Both had giant bibs though so there were 5 that hatched and all 5 were fully feathered. I only kept four though.

I have a question for you guys who have bred NNs for a while - do you ever cull fully feathered chicks when they hatch if you are only interested in NN offspring? Do you grow them out for meat?

Just curious...

- Ant Farm

I have a question for you guys who have bred NNs for a while - do you ever cull fully feathered chicks when they hatch if you are only interested in NN offspring? Do you grow them out for meat?

Just curious...

- Ant Farm
What do you mean specifically by "cull"? I sell my feathered chicks as easter eggers or olive eggers. Or if I get one that is a really unusual color I might keep it and grow it out.

What do you mean specifically by "cull"?  I sell my feathered chicks as easter eggers or olive eggers.  Or if I get one that is a really unusual color I might keep it and grow it out.  

Cull as in sell, or grow out as food or simply not breed them.
I sell mine as barnyard chicks, as I cannot guarantee that they will lay colored eggs.

Just curious... 

- Ant Farm 

I use some of them if they are good individuals. I have a few people that just want mixed chicks so it Iano problem.

As you see in some of the pictures above I still get fully feathered chicks.

Last edited:

Just curious...

- Ant Farm

I know I haven't been at this as long as many others on here, but I either grow them out for meat, or if they turn out to be good layers I may keep them for eggs. Right now I have four pullets that I keep as layers and donate their eggs to one of the local food banks. Three are fully feathered but only lay medium sized eggs, and one is a NN that's very small for my meat breeding purposes, but still consistently lays medium-large eggs. People who come to and also run that food bank keep used egg cartons for me that I fill with some of my smaller surplus eggs and then donate. Protein is rarely donated to food banks, and I've found that the staff is extremely thankful and supportive of my donations. Before the heat really set in I was donating up to 9 dozen eggs per week (I was receiving 3 dozen eggs per day at that time) and still had plenty to sell.

Back
Top Bottom