Naked Neck/Turken Thread

let me see If I can help?

The naked neck gene has 2 copies only one need be present to be expressed
so a bird with no naked genes is usually referred to as nn (when talking naked necks)
a bird with a single naked gene is usually referred to as Nn (these birds have the naked neck with the larger patch of feathers on it, I think this is what you are looking for)
and a bird with 2 naked genes is usually referred to as NN ( these have the least amount of feathers on the neck but also less feathers in places like around the vent and under the wings that are not noticed unless you inspect the bird closer, these would also be the only ones to have a completely clean neck with no feathers)

now if you breed a NN to a nn then all the offspring will receive one naked gene from the NN and none from the nn so come out Nn and show more feathers but still naked neck
If you breed a Nn to a nn then the Nn will give the naked gene to half of its offspring and half will come out Nn and the other half will be nn(full feathered)
if you breed a Nn to a Nn then half come out Nn 1/4 come out NN and 1/4 come out nn
to tell the difference between a NN and a Nn you can look at the amount of neck feathers but also how many feathers are around the vent and under the wings.

I love my naked neckes!! my daughter and I have been hatching them for a while now, she is working on a line of black NN that she wants to breed closer to the APA SOP
Best of luck and have fun!

OooošŸ˜ That is exciting! I have only one roo, my NN male. I also have four Easter Egger females! All are 11wks right now. I *think* the girls will be blue layers. It would be so exciting to hatch chicks next year with the possibility of getting green layers!
Hello, excited for you to hatch your green layers! Hope you can post your progress because you have the genes you need for success and itā€™s absolutely worthwhile to make Naked Neck/Easter Egger crosses. Iā€™m hoping that chickens with one or two copies of the naked neck gene may show some resistance to Marekā€™s disease! I have the Marekā€™s vaccine in my fridge, but wouldnā€™t it be better to just breed resistant chickens? Good luck :fl
And the naked neck gene is dominant so what you see is what you get. šŸ˜

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._temperature_II_Blood_parameters_and_immunity

But I don't want the least amount of feathers. I want the ones with a big tuft of feathers for a bowtie and then the rest of the neck to be bare. I really don't know how else to explain it. Maybe I'll get pictures tonight to try and explain it
Letā€™s see if I can explain. That will show whether I understand it.

When you look at an individual chicken for Naked Neck genes:

Zero copies=nn and looks like a full-feathered fowl.

One copy=Nn and looks like a full bowtie.

Two copies=NN and looks like a sparse or no bow tie at all.

Next, consider your goals in chickenkeeping:
To breed to the SOP, it must be NN and no bow tie. (???)

If you are not going to show your chickens to their breed standard, and/or prefer the full bow tie, and/or want to increase resistance to Marekā€™s in your mixed layer flock, then add one copy =Nn to your Australorps, Silkies or other breeds. (Disclaimer: might be an unpopular opinion šŸ˜‰)

Letā€™s see if I can explain. That will show whether I understand it.

When you look at an individual chicken for Naked Neck genes:

Zero copies=nn and looks like a full-feathered fowl.

One copy=Nn and looks like a full bowtie.

Two copies=NN and looks like a sparse or no bow tie at all.

Next, consider your goals in chickenkeeping:
To breed to the SOP, it must be NN and no bow tie. (???)

If you are not going to show your chickens to their breed standard, and/or prefer the full bow tie, and/or want to increase resistance to Marekā€™s in your mixed layer flock, then add one copy =Nn to your Australorps, Silkies or other breeds. (Disclaimer: might be an unpopular opinion šŸ˜‰)
Yeah, I figured it out, thanks though. Apparently the look I like is called a non which was clogging communication

Yeah, but would those be the ones with ugly 3 feathered bowties or the beautiful full bowties? I had always figured it was the full ones since those are what are painted on the standards in the SOP, but now I'm not sure.
Interesting! I donā€™t yet have a copy of the SOP to learn all the breed standards. But pretty good at keeping chickens alive so far šŸ¤“

Back
Top Bottom