Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I’m loving the mix of colors on these guys. I can’t believe no one around me is interested in buying any. I really hatched at the wrong time. Lol
Anyway. First one is the fully feathered from my previous post. Here you can see it’s feather colors. It is 4 or so days younger then the rest.
7936EFED-4CAA-4F06-8626-5A743E41B5A4.png

The naked neck from the previous post.
0794415F-1CF8-409D-98D3-C6CD40F72861.png

Feather colors
D63D8885-6D82-4D65-BE94-391DB46393FD.png

This one is going to look just like it’s mom. Black with brown markings, both parents are

F5EF1E1B-BC62-40EB-9DF2-CC1211C1146B.png

D931DADF-A812-43D7-94AC-BC33FA6FF69A.png

This one I’m leaning towards it’s mom was my brown NN, but it’s neck feathering doesn’t seem right if that’s true. Shouldn’t it have less feathers like the black one?
D7F5E97F-89F6-4E46-AFAA-7AE17D23BD36.png

F45A709B-EFA2-4879-9591-B6962274EF8E.png

4CFF0919-06CD-48A7-BDD3-A9D8EE8BDB4D.png

This one I suspect is a male. Has the same look his dad had at this age. I love his colors! I hope he keeps the white tips. If no one buys him I might want to keep him😬 I think his mom was my EE, Hawk. Is it possible he could carry the green egg gene? Or is that not how it works?
C86BE7C7-4C68-4871-AC77-1ED896EECA2F.png
06B3AD4A-97C7-4E12-A48B-B46FFBC21B4C.png

@My2butterflies The one that has the NN bib look's almost like it has cat whisker's on it. Congrats on your hatch!
I guess “cat whiskers” are how you know that a Naked Neck x Easter Egger chick inherited the gene for muffs and beard. I guess the NN gene cannot cancel out all the muff. That’s because I’ve got a similar hen shown below as the yellow chick under her mother:
CDA9D6EE-D955-4D9B-A0B8-C7B2ADEA42EE.jpeg

Below is the yellow chick all grown up, note the whiskers. She inherited the muffs and beard from her father who is an EE x Australorp that looks like a black Ameracauna. The yellow chick her mother’s NN gene restricts the muffs and beard from being fully expressed. She also inherited one copy of the pea comb from her father because she doesn’t have her mother’s straight comb. And one copy of the blue egg gene from her father. She lays green eggs and her mother lays brown eggs.
EA5427FB-1601-4A85-8C2C-711BB43B7714.jpeg
B93757D5-ABCF-4EAB-A869-A438BEF3EEBC.jpeg

I guess “cat whiskers” are how you know that a Naked Neck x Easter Egger chick inherited the gene for muffs and beard. I guess the NN gene cannot cancel out all the muff. That’s because I’ve got a similar hen shown below as the yellow chick under her mother:
View attachment 2554801
Below is the yellow chick all grown up, note the whiskers. She inherited the muffs and beard from her father who is an EE x Australorp that looks like a black Ameracauna. The yellow chick her mother’s NN gene restricts the muffs and beard from being fully expressed. She also inherited one copy of the pea comb from her father because she doesn’t have her mother’s straight comb. And one copy of the blue egg gene from her father. She lays green eggs and her mother lays brown eggs.
View attachment 2554809View attachment 2554811
Oh the yellow one is stunning

Oh the yellow one is stunning
Thank you. It’s worth keeping track of who hatched out of what color egg. You can refer to your notes when ***choosing to keep the NN rooster that hatched from a blue or green egg.*** (so you don’t accidentally sell him).

When collecting eggs, I take a fineline Sharpie pen to each egg and write the date, trace the air cell, and write the father x mother (Blk EE x Buff NN) or (Blk Oo x Buff NaNa).

Then before setting the eggs to hatch, I put them on a towel on the counter and snap a pic. The camera will capture the pedigree, egg color and date. It really helps jog my memory later when comparing hatchlings to the shell fragments left from hatching :jumpy :barnie:gig:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Last edited:
I’m loving the mix of colors on these guys. I can’t believe no one around me is interested in buying any. I really hatched at the wrong time. Lol
Anyway. First one is the fully feathered from my previous post. Here you can see it’s feather colors. It is 4 or so days younger then the rest. View attachment 2554421
The naked neck from the previous post.
View attachment 2554422
Feather colorsView attachment 2554423
This one is going to look just like it’s mom. Black with brown markings, both parents are

View attachment 2554424

View attachment 2554425
This one I’m leaning towards it’s mom was my brown NN, but it’s neck feathering doesn’t seem right if that’s true. Shouldn’t it have less feathers like the black one? View attachment 2554426
View attachment 2554427
View attachment 2554428
This one I suspect is a male. Has the same look his dad had at this age. I love his colors! I hope he keeps the white tips. If no one buys him I might want to keep him😬 I think his mom was my EE, Hawk. Is it possible he could carry the green egg gene? Or is that not how it works? View attachment 2554429View attachment 2554430
Don’t sell them til you pick out the ones you want to keep. The gene that controls blue shell versus white shell is dominant for blue. So eggs will be blue with one or two copies. To get white shells you have to get rid of the blue gene and the brown genes 😄
OO=one copy from dad and one copy from mom=blue shell to all offspring.
Oo=one copy from one parent, no copy from the other parent=blue shell. 50% offspring receive blue shell and 50% offspring receive white shell.
oo=no copies from either parent=white shell.
Why don’t all chickens have the blue egg gene? I have no idea 😄

Write the parents on the eggshell when it’s laid. Take a photo of the eggs before you set them and as each chick hatches. That way you can refer back and *be certain the NN rooster you want to keep did in fact hatch from a blue or green egg * 🥰

View attachment 2554801
View attachment 2554809View attachment 2554811

I have no idea about that since I am only working with the single straight comb's. That is also the reason why I chose the Crested Cream Legbar before to mix with the Naked Neck's to get the green egg.

I went to Tractor Supply today. There was a brooder (one of those new stacking ones) that had 6 nn in it. They had pasty butt. Two were down and looked pitiful. I hadn't planned on getting chicks this spring but I felt so bad for them. I brought them home & Cleaned them up. It was so bad that I had to trim the butt fluff off some of them. Anyway, after some electrolytes and heat (mhp) all seem ok. I'm hoping they all make it. I bought two CCLB too. I thought I might as well.

I went to Tractor Supply today. There was a brooder (one of those new stacking ones) that had 6 nn in it. They had pasty butt. Two were down and looked pitiful. I hadn't planned on getting chicks this spring but I felt so bad for them. I brought them home & Cleaned them up. It was so bad that I had to trim the butt fluff off some of them. Anyway, after some electrolytes and heat (mhp) all seem ok. I'm hoping they all make it. I bought two CCLB too. I thought I might as well.

Are you going to try to get those green egg laying NN's too from those?

Back
Top Bottom