Naked Neck/Turken Thread

For those the use naked necks as a meat bird at what age is good to butcher specially males.
Currently have a young male but have a few in the incubator and a broody hen under several naked neck eggs.
I try to stick with 16 weeks as optimum age just because they won't get much larger without getting tougher

F1822DE7-DDE0-4B9F-A37C-5A51DAFA6EFD.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B765450-C91D-4ADA-9FF1-47732CD5FE39.jpeg
    0B765450-C91D-4ADA-9FF1-47732CD5FE39.jpeg
    938.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 24034F5A-EF12-42B1-8638-4A7D6F45C5D9.jpeg
    24034F5A-EF12-42B1-8638-4A7D6F45C5D9.jpeg
    793.2 KB · Views: 7
For those the use naked necks as a meat bird at what age is good to butcher specially males.
Currently have a young male but have a few in the incubator and a broody hen under several naked neck eggs.
As soon as they start wanting to crow.
Tender enough for a marinade and grilling at that point.
After processing let them rest in the fridge a couple days before cooking that I have found helps a lot.

nice to see you here again! do you still have NNs?
A few. Two hens out of my first batch from Cackle. And one big NN/JG cross. Had two hens from that hatch I was going to set eggs from but one died of unknown this winter and the other recently lost to a fox. I have one old JG hen still, decided I'd have to set her eggs it'd be Nn/nn and hope for some naked necks but she quit laying. I got one egg then nothing. Have to wait till spring I guess.

A few. Two hens out of my first batch from Cackle. And one big NN/JG cross. Had two hens from that hatch I was going to set eggs from but one died of unknown this winter and the other recently lost to a fox. I have one old JG hen still, decided I'd have to set her eggs it'd be Nn/nn and hope for some naked necks but she quit laying. I got one egg then nothing. Have to wait till spring I guess.
Sorry to read that here. You had some pretty nice sized Naked Neck's. Good luck in getting some more started back up again!

Back
Top Bottom