Naked necks

whitebutcher

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 19, 2008
back in the hills
For the first time this year i raised some naked necks.I have two hens and a rooster.If I cross these with white rocks,will the offspring be naked necks or will i get a 50/50 mixture?

I believe the naked neck is a dominant trait. I have never experimented tho. I have been told by those that have. You might try and let us all know
smile.png

Short answer- naked neck is a dominant gene so yes there will be naked necked chicks out of the cross. Either half of them will have it or all of them, depending on if the naked necks were pure for the naked neck gene.

You can tell if a bird is pure for the naked neck gene if the neck is completely bare or has a very small bowtie. Like on this hen. Birds not pure for the naked neck gene typically have a very large bowtie with feathers covering the entire lower neck/crop area. Like this rooster.

It's common claim that only birds with completely bare necks are the only birds pure for it but this is not true. Birds with naturally completely bare necks are very rare, even pure ones- the majority have very small bowties with only a few feathers on each side of neck.

Also it doesn't matter which way they are crossed- naked rooster over rock hens or vice versa.

This is what I was told.

It is semi dominant, meaning it shows up in one generation, but not to its full extent.

Some naked neck birds have 2 genes for it and have no bow tie, aka clean necked for the sake of the following. those birds bred to a normally feathered neck will give you all naked neck with bow ties.

A naked neck bow tie bred to a non naked neck bird will give you 50% bow ties and 50% feathered neck.

Bow tie x bow tie = 25% clean necked, 25% feathered necked and 50% bow ties

Any resulting feathered necked birds do not carry the gene and will not produce naked neck when bred to other feathered necked birds.

I would like to know what if both birds, hen and roo are both clean necked, what would the chicks be then? All clean neck or some clean neck and some bow ties?...................

I have 2 hens and 1 roo that are clean neck[no bow tie], I was hoping to mate those and get more all clean neck.

92caddy,

I covered part of this in my post right above yours. It is not true that a bird with bow tie is automatically not pure(or has one gene for it in your words). Most of what you were told is mostly correct but....

Fact is, most naked necks pure(2 genes) for naked neck DO have a bow tie, but it is small with only a few feathers on each side of neck and exposes the lower front neck and crop area very well. As in the picture of hen I linked to in previous post.

"completely bare neck= only ones pure for naked neck" is something that gets thrown around a lot.. however my own breeding has proven repeatedly(in fact well over 300 birds total by now) that this is not true.

Example shown by actual breeding:

small bowtie x small bowtie= 100% small bowties. (same with clean neck x clean neck)

Small bowtie x large bowtie= 1/2 small bowtie 1/2 large

Small bowtie x non-naked neck= 100% naked necked but all with huge bowtie like the rooster linked above.

Large bowtie x non-naked neck= 1/2 naked necked, 1/2 not.

Been done with many unrelated birds with large numbers of chicks.

(not touching on modifiers such as pea and rose combs for now)

It needs to be more well known that only the total bare necks are the only ones pure is a myth..

When we had red naked neck bantams we started with a trio of bow tie birds. We hatched out many chicks from them and overall got the ratio that 92caddy said, about 25% feather necked, 25% bare neck, and the rest had bow ties. When we mated a bare necked rooster with a RIR hen and we got about 90% bow ties, the other 10% were feather necked. We mated one of the feathernecked chicks to a RIR and somehow still got 2 chicks with bow ties.

Ive been getting mixed hatches from my bowties. One hatch will be almost all feathered neck and then the next hatch will almost be all bowties. Ive only ever hatched 1 all naked neck from my own eggs. I bought some eggs off of BYC and got 2 all naked neck from them eggs. Im hoping that breeding the all naked neck will give me a few more all naked nack.

My turken bantams with bowties, about 75% of them have hatched out all feathered neck. ................

Quote:
Were the bowties all very small or largish and covering most of the lower neck? And the bare necks completely bare necked from hatch, not even a single feather on the necks ever?

Don't get me wrong, there are true bare necked birds. Just that these are pretty uncommon.. and I am suspecting that some comments about 'bare necks' are applying it to birds who do have a bowtie but a very small one. I've seen birds described as 'total bare necks' show a small bowtie.

Quote:
This shows there is something not right going on. 90% & 10% does not fit a Punnett square calculation for an autosomal gene. Perhaps too low of a number of chicks hatched, or hen still/got sperm from another rooster. The fact of feather neck x RIR produced naked necked chicks(is that what you're saying?) makes me wonder if it was a case of hen having access to/still having sperm from another rooster(a naked necked one).

Quote:
You shouldn't go clutch by clutch. It's the total number of offspring. It's the same as some clutches can be mostly of one sex and another clutch of another sex, even though the ratio is supposed to be 50-50. I've had clutch results such as only 2 males out of 13 in one clutch. This seems to skew the ratio something fierce. However the total out of the entire season eventually added up to 50-50 anyways(38 chicks in this case).

I've had and bred naked necks for 18 years from dozens of sources(hatchery, private persons, show stock). Both 'pure bred' and mixed backyard mongrels.

Only from one source did I get any completely bare necks- both directly from the source AND from breeding those birds myself. Ironically, the total bare necks was from a mongrel stock- it also threw crested, silky feathered, frizzled, all sorts of weird body types etc.

ETA: When I first had naked necks, I too was told the pure ones had totally bare necks. However in my attempts to breed for the 'pure ones'.. they simply weren't showing up. Instead the bowtie size became apparent, and decided to test-mate.. that's when I realized the small bowtie ones were indeed homozygous(pure). Repeated breedings since this gave same results.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom