Name the Breeds on my Mystery Chickens

Sallysec

Songster
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
New York
So After six months I have sat down to really look at my original hatchery order and realize that there must be some mistakes. I didn't get what I ordered I am pretty sure. But being new to this, I will ask you all to give your opinions.

Ancona? and ?

This is Ethel...

Ethel again

I ordered a Jersey Giant and an Australorp. I got two of these girls towards the back of the waterer that look exactly alike. Soooooooo....?

ehtel Looks like a Barnevelder and first one not sure could be ancona
idunno.gif

What hatchery did you order from?

You for sure do not have a Black Australorp- they have black legs- not gold. Honestly they all look like they are mixed. Ethel looks like a mix between a gold-laced wyandotte and a partridge rock. Could be a gold laced though- but she is really dark for that. Your speckled one I bet is a mix between a leghorn and a speckled sussex - the comb looks sooooo leghorn. It could be a mix of a speckled and a Jersey Giant, however, yours has white earlobes and that means it would lay white eggs (although that comb sure looks like a rooster) and both Speckled Sussex and JG are brown eggers- so that is why I am leaning to the Leghorn mix....

Oh yeah- Ethel could be a barnevelder, but I would not say she was breed well if she is that, she is soooooo dark. ;-/ (only on the breed side, I am sure she is quite lovely no matter what she is)....

Last edited:
First pic, Ancona & splash Maran MAYBE can't see her to good.

Ethel is a barnevelder for sure, just hatchery stock, so she may not be perfect like show quality.

Last pic with water is left to right, Easter egger, Rhode island red or production red, Ancona, and a Jersey giant.

Hope this helps! May not be what you ordered but they are very pretty ladies!!

LOL thanks so much, see the Jersey Giant is the one that I keep thinking is an australorp. and the ancona...I question if she is a Exchequer Leghorn.
I ordered from MPC. I loved their service honestly and the girls are so friggen sweet I couldn't not love them....buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I want to know what I have and when you pick out one of this and that for a backyard flock it is kind of annoying. That said...the little grey girl is the most difficult of all my girls. I have no idea what she is. Someone told me a splash maran when she was a baby but dont they have feathered feet?

The "ancona" is a girl...no crowing and I have one bird laying white eggs :) lol and since everyone else shouldn't lay white eggs I am pretty sure its hers :)

Here is trouble at a young age

Its really hard to get a picture of Sophia/Tommy (dont ask) lol but she is the grey color....she runs so friggen fast and hates to be caught. She manages to make all kinds of trouble and loves to escape. She hates to be by herself though which is funny because she escapes only to make such a cackle to get back in. She also has to go in the 'hard' way. If I am holding the door open....nope she refuses....its when the door is closed that she runs up to it...she also loves to play chase I swear. Only bird I ever ran around the snow trying to help back in....she also got caught once by my dog, honestly that kind of straightened her out...she is a lot nicer to me and falls more into line :)

okay so I was reviewing the pics I had taken today and noticed the two big dark girls that I swear look exactly alike might have different colored feet. One in the picture has blackish grey feet...and the one next to it I think yellow. I just looked at their feathers which are these big black soft feathers with green hints in the sunlight. I will have to go look closer at their feet tomorrow. They are both big girls. Here you can see the grey got her butt all dirty but at least she stayed still for the camera.

okay so I was reviewing the pics I had taken today and noticed the two big dark girls that I swear look exactly alike might have different colored feet. One in the picture has blackish grey feet...and the one next to it I think yellow. I just looked at their feathers which are these big black soft feathers with green hints in the sunlight. I will have to go look closer at their feet tomorrow. They are both big girls. Here you can see the grey got her butt all dirty but at least she stayed still for the camera.
The one with black feet is most likely an Australorp. The one with yellow is probably a Jersey Giant.
smile.png

I agree with Rorporp23 on the blacks and I still think the splash is a splash Maran. Not all Marans have feathered legs. I once had an Easter egger that looked exactly like that too. I've never ordered from a hatchery, but did you allow substitutions?? Maybe they didn't hatch what you requested and gave you a breed that looks like what you wanted??

Back
Top Bottom