Name the eggs! Choose your baby to root for!

I'll expound on the how to pick a show bird. I'm not an expert, and it's been 30yrs sence I've done any live stock judging.

First you want a specific breed. Then you need to get the SOP for that breed. You pick a chicken you have that best matches the SOP. Ideally you start with that breed, but you can use mixed breeds if they adhere to the SOP.

All breeds recognised in your respective Association. For you it's APA. To get a showbird you'll have to go to a breeder that shows, and get a dozen eggs from them. If you're lucky, you might get one or two birds that'll do well in the show. You could also try and get one of the breeder's past breeding birds, who might've already shown. Any bird that adheres to their respective breed's SOP will work

I don't think I'll get to the point of wanting to breed and show like that, certainly can't afford high quality birds. I can't even convince myself I want a roo LoL.
Just curious to go see I guess. And my curiosity never gets me in trouble...

I don't think I'll get to the point of wanting to breed and show like that, certainly can't afford high quality birds. I can't even convince myself I want a roo LoL.
Just curious to go see I guess. And my curiosity never gets me in trouble...
I didn't want any roo's, now I have 1 rooster and 6 cockerels, it was 8 but I sold 2 last weekend...

I'm not sure I'll ever show a bird, or local fair allows adult entries, but this year when I went to look, several birds looked sick. Nope nope nope, I'm not taking my little precious floofs around that!

Updated to be a more festive snowflake 😃

20231117_155052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom