Name this creature

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purosaviparos, May 18, 2011.

1. purosaviparos

purosaviparos Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    This animal is called "Coquena" in Spanish (Co-kay-na), but i have no clue what to call it in English, nor have i ever seen one. Anybody know it´s name or origen information?
    [​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Its a Guinea Fowl.

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
  4. purosaviparos

purosaviparos Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    All right thanks for the input. Originally from Oregon, never had to the chance to see one of these. Acquired a few here in Mexico and am planning or raising more. Thanks again.

5. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    What does the word, "Coquena" translate to? I tried looking it up and the Internet kept correcting the spelling to "Coquina". One place said it was "kitchen" another said it was a rock/coral subtance. Just curious? [​IMG]

6. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Coquina is related to coral from the ocean and pearls. They call the guinea that for the pearl/coral color of them [​IMG]

7. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I've never seen one either! It's an odd looking bird.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sooo funny! The first guinea I ever saw was when I was driving down the road, and a lady had them I thought they looked sooo neat, especially with that bony lump on their heads.....Reminded me of a dinosaur, so I called them dinosar birds! (My husband laughed at me.....)

9. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    My grandpa had gueneas and I have never seen one that big or with the weird flesh around its beak. Almost looks like a cross between a gunea and a turkey!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  10. Forever Green

Forever Green Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Yes, this is a Guinea fowl. They are great birds. Actually are somewhat of a "watch-dog alarm". They make this super loud noise when a stranger enters your property or a potential animal predator. We kept one for a while with our hens and 2 roosters. It just showed up on a property one day and followed my flock. It stayed with us for about 2-3 months, then all of a sudden one day it started beating up my roosters. My roosters were no match for the guinea bony head. Unfortunately, we had to immediately separate it from our flock and find it a new home. Once it got comfortable with the flock, it wanted to be #1 and it would have fought the roosters to their death.

I miss it's noise.....sometimes......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by