Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Cinnamon and spice

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Cookie and Spice

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Cookie and Cream

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
I just google it, it said different sizes = female same sizes =male. Looks like the suspected rooster is a hen, and the suspected hen is a rooster lol! A boy and a girl! šŸ„°
I wish I had know this when my 5 week olds were still little. That would have been really helpful.
Well you can tell with them with their comb, at least I can with my cuckoo Marans

I just google it, it said different sizes = female same sizes =male. Looks like the suspected rooster is a hen, and the suspected hen is a rooster lol! A boy and a girl! šŸ„°
I wish I had know this when my 5 week olds were still little. That would have been really helpful.
That method wont work on every chick--only certain sex linked crosses. However there is a different way to guess the sex using the wings. Pullets typically feather in faster than males, so chicks with long wing feathers are more likely to be girls--even if all the feathers are the same length. Males typically feather in slower than females--the difference is really obvious next to a pullet.
Long primary and secondary feathers--probably a pullet (in both fast and slow feathering breeds)

Long primary feathers, short secondary feathers--probably pullet for slow feathering breeds, cockerel for fast feathering breeds

Short primary and secondary feathers--probably a cockerel in both slow and fast feathering breeds

Since this method isn't the result of a specific sex-linked cross, it's not 100% accurate, but it is better than no guess at all.

Cochin bantam pullet at 3 days--notice the long primary and secondary feathers, and even some covert feathers growing
7C5D874D-7BC3-4102-A7DB-91162F19DCA4.jpeg
Cochin bantam cockerel at 3 days--notice the very short wing feathers
4C89BE43-0308-4E17-A88D-0646310C9F0F.jpeg
Those two are 4 weeks old now and confirmed pullet and cockerel by comb sexing.

Also, I vote May and Flower! Very cute seasonal name pair! I like Cinnamon and Spice too.

That method wont work on every chick--only certain sex linked crosses. However there is a different way to guess the sex using the wings. Pullets typically feather in faster than males, so chicks with long wing feathers are more likely to be girls--even if all the feathers are the same length. Males typically feather in slower than females--the difference is really obvious next to a pullet.
Long primary and secondary feathers--probably a pullet (in both fast and slow feathering breeds)

Long primary feathers, short secondary feathers--probably pullet for slow feathering breeds, cockerel for fast feathering breeds

Short primary and secondary feathers--probably a cockerel in both slow and fast feathering breeds

Since this method isn't the result of a specific sex-linked cross, it's not 100% accurate, but it is better than no guess at all.

Cochin bantam pullet at 3 days--notice the long primary and secondary feathers, and even some covert feathers growing
View attachment 2689882
Cochin bantam cockerel at 3 days--notice the very short wing feathers
View attachment 2689884
Those two are 4 weeks old now and confirmed pullet and cockerel by comb sexing.

Also, I vote May and Flower! Very cute seasonal name pair! I like Cinnamon and Spice too.
Thank you for the sexing info, I appreciate it!
Thanks for voting in the poll as well, still not sure what to name these sweeties. šŸ„°

Back
Top Bottom