Names?

Try not to give them names that pair or group them. If something happens to one of them, it's a sad reminder. I named my first four eenie, meenie, minie and mo. Unfortunately, meenie and minie were taken down by dogs (not mine). Now it is strange calling eenie and mo. My new ones are Blondie, Goldie, Daisy, Tulip, Lily and Babs. I actually found a site that listed names suggestions for chickens. Too funny! Try googling chicken names.

Quote:
We did the same thing. All the girls are named for First Ladies and the boys for Presidents. Some were named for historical significance. I watched them for a few weeks to determine what personality they had so I could match that with a name.

For instance, I saw a picture of Grace Coolidge wearing a coat with a fur muff, so our Auraucana/Americana is named for her.

I got a couple wrong. Someone told me our Delaware pullet chick was our Columbian Wyandotte, so the Delaware is named Frances Cleveland because Grover Cleveland was president when the Columbian Wyandotte was introduced at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893. Mary Lincoln, who is really our Columbian Wyandotte, was named for Mrs. Lincoln because her feathering reminded me of the inaugral dress picture.

Eleanor Roosevelt investigated issues of her day, our White Faced Black Spanish pullet is the first in our flock to investigate a new situation. Our Barred Plymouth Rock is named for Abigail Adams of Massachusetts, and our GOLDen Laced Wyandotte is Jackie Kennedy, of course.
wink.png

Pullets-
Silver Lakenvelder - Martha Washington
Gold Laced Wyandotte - Jackie Kennedy
Silver Laced Wyandotte - Ida McKinley
White Wyandotte - Pat Nixon
Columbian Wyandotte - Mary Lincoln
Auraucana/Americana - Grace Coolidge
Barred Plymouth Rock - Abigail Adams
Partridge Plymouth Rock - Rachel Jackson
Rhode Island Red - Patsy Jefferson
Jersey Black Giant - Lou Hoover
Buttercup - Ellen Wilson
Ancona - Lucy Hayes
Buff Orpington - Betty Ford
Delaware - Frances Cleveland
Silver Spangled Hamburg - Bess Truman
Golden Penciled Hamburg - Lady Bird Johnson
White Faced Black Spanish - Eleanor Roosevelt

Cockerels-
Golden Campine - Sam Grant
Single Comb Brown Leghorn - Ike Eisenhower

Last edited:
Didnt mean to revive an old thread but am also thinking of names for my chicks.
My lilest one, she has a crossed beak, the smartest of the bunch, but the dumb thing she does is she JUMPS in the food bowl first off, scratches every bit of it out of the bowl like she is saying "mine, mine,mine" (partly cuz she is so hungry I reckon). So we have named her Fandango, cuz she dances all over the darned food. I know chickens scratch, but this lil gal is somethin to see. Defeats her purpose tho, cuz she cant pick things up off a flat surface.
I worry bout her now, becuz I have been feeding her straight from the bag, or a deep cup now (she is still manic tho and way undersized), but she will eat til her crop just bulges way out. I finally started to put her in a special box to feed. I had to do this cuz she throws it ALL over, and she does the same when she is in the box with the others with the food. If I have her in with the others when I fill the bowl, she totally scratches it out, and on the kitchen floor, she will mess about a four foot radius or more. Never seen such a ornery lil mess for somethin about an ounce or two. She is so cute tho, she KNOWS she doesnt like soiled food, she will hop out, go potty, then hop back in. She is not tall enuff to see in, yet knows where it is.
The other chicks cant see in, have been in there a dozen times, can HEAR her in there feeding, and STILL cant figure it out. They are too funny, and will walk around for an hour trying to find her and where she is "feeding".
smile.png

We have Henrietta (but died a couple weeks ago
sad.png
), Mildred, Mavis, Trixi, Fee-Fee, Kellog the II and i dont think we named the others! My chickie at the moment escaped from a chicken farm so we thought of Houdini (the magician/escape artist), but im holding out she's a girl so i call her Hattie.
big_smile.png

We also have one of the hens sitting on an egg in the garden, so i will also have to be thinking of another name. Fun fun
big_smile.png

I have Domino II. I also have seven other without names.

I'll name them when i'm sure they aren;t gonna die.

My husband is a Marine so he has taken to naming the new chicks Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and so on. I was hoping we could pick better names,, and he had originally wanted to name them all Hen--- names, ie Henrietta, but after we got the little ones today, he changed his mind.

Back
Top Bottom