Nankin Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cobra3073, Jan 11, 2018.

1. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

Gorgeous! And I like the added touch of the pics on the wall. I assume they're pin-up boys to inspire the girls to get going?!
    I know how long and hard you've searched, so I am absolutely THRILLED for you!

BlackHackle and BirdGal like this.
  2. cobra3073

cobra3073 Chirping

Jan 3, 2017
    Thanks Dawn,

Day 3 and they are settling in nicely. Funny thing though; the First Lady for years has told me if I started to “mess with chickens”, I would be on my own.

Lo and behold, she is seemingly more interested than I am as to getting them banded. Due to her “pushing”, today we decided on the names and she (First Lady) wrote
    the selected names on the bands and we have placed them on the “subjects” legs.

The two cockerels are named after our two Sons. The 6 pullets are named after my Wife, my Daughter, my Daughter/in-law, Sister, and two Sisters-in-law.

Already, three of these folks are pestering me to send them pictures of “their” chickens so they can put it on “twitter” and/or “Facebook.”

Then there are other relatives and friends asking why their names did not “make the cut.” I am telling them they may make the second team! LOL

I know it has been awhile but maybe we can resurrect the old Nankin breed page since it appears not too much is happening with the Nankin Club of America Facebook site.

What do y’all think?

BT

3. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

I'm in!
    Do you know if the club is defunct or just on hiatus? Maybe all they need is a new webmaster to get the page up and running again ... hint, hint, hint ... and no, I'm not volunteering. That's definitely not my area of expertise. I'm not even on Facebook!

Evie seems to be doing well, although definitely lonely. None of the other eggs survived to hatch. So far, so good with Pepper. She's past the two week mark and is still on her nest. If all goes well, we should have a few babies by next weekend. That'll probably be too late to put Evie in with them, but we'll see. I won't chance losing her to an irate Mama. She's so tiny! I'd forgotten how little Nankins are when they first hatch. This is SO cool! EvieBYCDebut.jpg
    Evie - Three days old ... and very curious about that marble thingie!

4. cobra3073

cobra3073 Chirping

Jan 3, 2017
    Ok...later on today, I will start a new Nankin thread under the breed forum encouraging folks to write about their Nankins and requesting pictures.

As to the club, I joined Facebook about a month or so ago just to try and interact with people on the Nankin club page. There was a message stating the Secretary (Mary Ann Hartley) had apparently resigned. While I did not join the “club”, there appeared to be very little recent activity. I have continued to check in on the site.

Yes. I am sure Evie (possibly Adam...LOL) is somewhat lonely. By my count, she/he should have company by the end of next week. I have faith in “Pepper” adding to the reputation of Nankins being stellar brooders!

BT

5. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

We've already got some significant feather development ... so I'm hopeful we won't have to change Evie's name! Fingers crossed all the way around ... it's getting hard to type with XXXXed fingers!

BlackHackle likes this.
  6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    there are a couple facebook nankin groups, they are slow but do chat once in awhile, have tried to hatch from shipped eggs, not working :(

BlackHackle, cobra3073 and MROO like this.
  7. cobra3073

cobra3073 Chirping

Jan 3, 2017
    On your hatching efforts, were you using a hen or incubator?

BT

BlackHackle likes this.
  8. BirdGal

BirdGal Chirping

Jun 8, 2018
    I read somewhere that the smaller the egg size, the hatching % shrunk from shipping damage as compared to standard sized eggs so have been reluctant to try shipping in eggs. Anyone had excellent luck shipping tiny bantam eggs all the way across the US? I also am interested in this breed but no good stock anywhere near......

BlackHackle likes this.
  9. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

That seems to be a perennial problem with Nankins. No matter how safely they're packaged, they don't ship well at all. I think it has something to do with the size and shape of the eggs, themselves. Because they are so small and rounded, any sloshing at all can disturb the embryo, breaking any veining that's begun to form. No veins, no development, no chicks.
    Then there's incubating. Most eggs get a better hatch rate in an incubator, but not Nankins. They seem to need Mama talking to and turning them. The one exception I've heard to that is from a lady who used to pull her own eggs, put them directly into position in her own incubator, then start it as soon as it was full enough and before the first eggs were very old. From what I understand, her bator was in the people-part of her coop, with only a wire wall separating it from the chickens. Maybe they heard enough chicken-speak that way! She claimed a 95% hatch rate ... but that was years ago and she never responded back for me to ask more about it.

All that said, Hello Artsyrobin! Where are you located? I'm in Maryland.

BlackHackle, BirdGal and cobra3073 like this.
  10. cobra3073

cobra3073 Chirping

Jan 3, 2017
    GREAT information, Dawn!!

By my count, Pepper’s hatching efforts should be REAL near completion...I have my fingers crossed also.

How is Evie (or Adam) doing?

BT

BlackHackle likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: