Nankin Discussion Thread

Pics
Quote:
Oh, thanks, good to know. So, the breeder wants more buff color?
I'm thinking they are pretty light right now, not as red as some pictures I've seen, but not sure since I've not had them before now. I expected the black to stay in the tails, but thought the wing feathers would lighten.
I'm now thinking I have two roos, and two pullets. They love me.
smile.png

I really don't mind the black in the wings, I just love them the way they are. I'm not going to have the chance to get into the shows like you do, might consider a county fair. Is that silly? Thought I may get some social awareness going. I'm so grateful that you saw my post asking about Nankins. I read about them, saw pictures, kept reading on how sweet and calm they were, and now I can say I finally have some. They are every thing I read about them. Tough little stinks too.
smile.png
Surprised me after they hatched how well they did. They were so tiny I was worried. They are starting to fly from a spot to another and actually land on the post they want.

I have hatched a pair of Nankin chicks (just one week old) one is much lighter, the other having a more golden tinge so am assuming, undoubtedly erroneously, that I have one of each. Thanks for all the pictures and the personality trait information. I was watching the wee fluff balls using their mum as a launching pad this morning - a delight !

I have 9 Nankin cockerels for sale for who ever's interested. Their quality varies, and I'll be asking $10 for each.
I'm also looking into trading a nice Rooster to add new bloodlines into our flock.
Southwest Arizona.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I would love to have a roo like yours in my flock. If you ever have a roo for sale, or are willing to trade (we can both benefit from the new bloodlines), I'll be the first one nocking on your door.
smile.png

I just had to say I am very happy! I went to the feed store today which takes in chickens from people and re-sales them for $10 each. It's almost ALWAYS unwanted roosters. But I like to walk by and look at them sometimes they have very pretty ones. Well, I noticed 2 of the cages had pullets and a mix of bantams like cochins. Low and behold, there was a nankin! You see, around here the nankin really is quite rare, Bluebonnet Classic (one of the largest shows in Texas) only had 3, and they where all from the same line, 2 where from the person who gave us ours, the other was ours. Now, she is not the greatest quality, she is to dark and covered in ticking and to much black on her wings. But she has a good body shape and the right color legs! Not bad for a 4H project, it's going to take a little work but I think she will do. We have had the worst luck with hatching (as I have said before!) and this year we hatched ONE luckily it too is a pullet. I am hoping with 2 beautiful roos and now the three pullets we are getting off to a better start! 3 laying is better than just one!
wee.gif

Ok, so I took some photo's of her. I looked at her and thought nankin! BUT I could be wrong, she could be a game bird or something she has a LOT of black. Let me know if you guys think she is just a PQ nankin or something else. I am going to keep her anyway b/c she is cute just not put her in the breeding pen depending on what you guys say. Thanks in advance!

785596529_photobucket_67602_.jpg

785596529_photobucket_67600_.jpg

785596529_photobucket_67599_.jpg

785596529_photobucket_67597_.jpg

I have just hatched two nankins - Nip and Tuck....here is a picture of them sitting on their 'mums' at three weeks. Your pictures certainly look like I expect mine to look
97163_three_weeks.jpg

Yesterday I hoped to find a new Gold Laced Polish bantie under the broodie but there were three !!! They are the most beautiful things and look like they are wearing balaclavas - anybody got any of these ?

97163_rasta_tweep_1.jpg

Scottish Borders

Quote:
I have a GLP her name is copper she is a standard though one of 2 that we have left of our polish I may get some more next spring they are my daughters favorite. I am just hoping this nankin will be good for the breeding pen. I can handle trying to breed out the coloring but want to be sure I am keeping the line as pure as possible.

Back
Top Bottom