Nankin Discussion Thread

Pics
Oh my word, waiting for babies is nerve racking. I have secured the converted hutch turned brooded for babies. I sure hope they really come this time. Arg. Both moms are sitting very well. Another Nankin is sitting on eggs that she is not supposed to. I take her off several times each day. I hope she gets over it when/if the new chicks hatch.

I'm so excited for you! I will be losing my mind next spring when I decide to let my birds brood some eggs. On a different note, we saved up the eggs that Sweetie layed and the kids and I each ate 3 last Saturday. Our first time eating Nankin eggs, and they were so very good!

HEY HEY HEY two egg shells are beside each broody momma. It is soooo cold here I don't have the heart to force a look at the babies but I hear little peeps from under momma. They are very upset that I even opened the door to the brooder coops. I slipped in my smallest feeders and waterers for when they are allowed to roam a little. I don't want any drafts to get them especially if they are wet. It figures that that coldest day we have had all week is the day they decide to hatch. One mom pushed out two eggs. I will guess she knows more than me about such things so I removed them to the compost pile. Candling shows development had started but no movement was evident. Pictures will be next, promise.

Oh they are soo cute. We just peeked in and momma's let us get a glimpse.

Serama Mom scratching around a bit.

D'Anver mom faithfully sitting on the last two eggs.

YIPPEEE!!

Just a quick update. There are 7 new chicks for two momma's. One has hock rocker which is being watched. Everyone is doing fine. One chick is a D'Anver from a Best of Breed Hen and one appears to be a mutt. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a question. Does anyone use numbered legbands, and where do you order them? I really like the ABA bands except the part where they have the year stamped on them. I'm still not positive of everyone's gender and I don't want a bunch of xtra bands of the wrong size that I can't use next year. But I have some really early maturing individuals and I have heard that those are usually among the most fertile and true breeding of a batch so I need to mark them for tracking before everyone else catches up.

celebrate.gif
Congrats on the babies DaughterofEve
celebrate.gif
Very cute. You mentioned one having "hock rocker". Being a newbie I have no idea what that means. Could you please explain so I can make a note in my journal for yet another thing to watch for. Thanks a bunch and congrats again!

Have a Blessed Day.

Sometime chicks will have trouble walking. They kind of scoots or rock around on their hocks(elbows). When its a newborn it is usually not a big deal. Trouble hatching or last to hatch will have troubles sometimes. My rocker was on her feet after 24 hrs. Other illness can act like this but will start after a few days. Vitamin deficiency or spradle leg comes to mind.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Back
Top Bottom