Nap Time

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thomi, May 10, 2009.

1. thomi

thomi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Elgin, SC
    The girls will be 12 weeks old in just two days so we have been letting them have the run of our fenced in property for the last few days when we have been home to keep an eye on them. Today I peeked out the window near miday and didn't see any of them around so I went out and looked in the coop window to see if they had gone inside for shade. I started to freakout when I didn't see anyone inside. On the way back to the house I caught some motion out of the corner of my eye and noticed all of them huddled together under a small bush and holly tree.

[​IMG]

They were awake and alert by the time I got the camera from the house and came back to snap the picture. It is also pretty cool how they still pretty much stick together in a flock mentality wherever they go. Will they always do that or will they be more individual when they get older?

Thom

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    They are so cute. Mine did the very same thing today!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mine still stick together, except for one independent EE. If they get seperated and realize it, they'll run to catch up.

Imp

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine mostly stick together, too. If one wanders or gets distracted, it will suddenly run to catch up, or even holler if it can't find the others. Then again, sometimes one will decide she wants a day off by herself.

Funny creatures.

5. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it depends on the chicken. Some are very social, like my two barred rocks Martha and Simone that stick together thru thick and thin, and some just want to explore by themselves, like my black sumatra Lucy. Most of them stay in a flock, though. Chickens are very social and its sad to see some people keep only a single hen.

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Pretty birds! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by