Napping During the Day?

4PrettyLadies

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Tennessee
Newbie chicken lover here - be gentle with me! We just got 4 red sex-link pullets - ~ 20 wees. They have a 6x6 house w/nesting boxes, roost, food, water and large fenced run. First 2 days scared to death of the hen house - had to put them in and out. Today they came out for several hours this am and scratched around, ate and went back in to house where they are all 4 resting in a group on the floor - been there for several hours. My question is this - do pullets rest during the day? Is this ok or should I be worried? They have only been here a couple of days so perhaps they are just getting acclimated??? Thanks!

Oh, I think they do rest throughout the day. They are probably still a bit unsettled. It can take a few weeks. And also, if they don't roost yet, they may have not had a roost where they came from, so they will figure it out. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thanks so much for the reassurance! My "chicken knowledge" is only from books (so far). Looking forward to this new adventure.

welcome-byc.gif

Yep, they like to nod off during the day and take a nap.

You might make a few wet spots in the run to give them a place to scratch/dig...they will make a hole in the damp soil and cool off/nap. We have been in the 100's for over a month...had a cool spell with 80's for a couple of days but are climbing back to upper 90's so today I had my DH spray one end of our run to give the girls a lil more area where they can spread out and cool off. I offer them ice bottles in their waterers to help cool them off, too. If they are panting or their wings are drooping...they are hot.

Hope you enjoy your time with your chickens...we enjoy sitting in the run and watching them. DH did not want chickens...took me 3 years to convince him...now he questions why we didn't get them sooner!
smack.gif
lau.gif

Thanks for the info! It is reassuring to know they aren't ill! The ladies are getting used to their new home and coming in and out of the hen house several times a day now. They are indeed, "napping" but all seems well! Yeah! It is hot here too - the 68th day in a row that temps have been in the 90's - hot for the mountains of TN. We built the hen house in the shade and they seem okay, but thanks for the hint about the mud! Thanks for all the help!

welcome-byc.gif

Yes, they rest during the day. Normally they all get together and start preening, then the naps happen from there. But don't have a heart attack if you walk out and see what you think is a dead chicken. (it still freaks me out when I see it) They are just sunbathing.
SDC10436.jpg

Back
Top Bottom