Nardole the Brave!

SO I was at home today, minding my own business and writing Christmas cards when there was a commotion outside. I heard Nardole sound the alarm-- hardly unusual-- then what sounded like the beginning of a cock fight?! The unmistakable sound of a bird flogging something.
I got up, prepared to intervene in what I assumed was my two boys finally duking it out, when Nardole alarmed again, louder and more urgent, followed by the sounds of the flock racing from around the house where they had been sunning themselves and into the dense bushes along the wall.
I yelled to my dog AND OUT WE WENT! House slippers, long johns, and thin shirt into the BITTER cold, and I found the flock hiding among the bushes, and I could see Nardole--thrashing and kicking like a demon--right in the middle. I caught the slightest flicker of gray and brown before I started beating on the branches and yelling at the top of my lungs!
Out flew the hawk and OUT CAME NARDOLE!!!!
He came out ready to murder, a little white ball of FIRE.
Claws? Out.
Spurs? Ready.
Beak? Open.
Wings? FLOGGING.

He made a dang good effort to chase the hawk off but A) hawks can fly and Nardole can't and B) Fred was already on the chase. (Although again, hawks can fly and dogs cannot.)

The hens were rattled. They did not want to leave the bushes, but I coaxed all but Jackie to the coop. Jackie was closest to the action, and the feathers on the side of her neck looked disturbed, but once I picked her up, a close inspection revealed just a couple of missing feathers--not even a scratch! I think she got a good scare, and nothing else.
My handsome boy has once again DONE HIS JOB and SAVED his girls! I have no doubt that had he not sounded the alarm and stood up to the hawk, I would be hosting a funeral tonight!

SO I was at home today, minding my own business and writing Christmas cards when there was a commotion outside. I heard Nardole sound the alarm-- hardly unusual-- then what sounded like the beginning of a cock fight?! The unmistakable sound of a bird flogging something.
I got up, prepared to intervene in what I assumed was my two boys finally duking it out, when Nardole alarmed again, louder and more urgent, followed by the sounds of the flock racing from around the house where they had been sunning themselves and into the dense bushes along the wall.
I yelled to my dog AND OUT WE WENT! House slippers, long johns, and thin shirt into the BITTER cold, and I found the flock hiding among the bushes, and I could see Nardole--thrashing and kicking like a demon--right in the middle. I caught the slightest flicker of gray and brown before I started beating on the branches and yelling at the top of my lungs!
Claws? Out.
Spurs? Ready.
Beak? Open.
Wings? FLOGGING.

He made a dang good effort to chase the hawk off but A) hawks can fly and Nardole can't and B) Fred was already on the chase. (Although again, hawks can fly and dogs cannot.)

The hens were rattled. They did not want to leave the bushes, but I coaxed all but Jackie to the coop. Jackie was closest to the action, and the feathers on the side of her neck looked disturbed, but once I picked her up, a close inspection revealed just a couple of missing feathers--not even a scratch! I think she got a good scare, and nothing else.
My handsome boy has once again DONE HIS JOB and SAVED his girls! I have no doubt that had he not sounded the alarm and stood up to the hawk, I would be hosting a funeral tonight!
He totally deserves to be a daddy roo!

I got home today and there was a hawk SITTING ON MY HOUSE!!!
The chickens are obviously confined to their run, but they are, by choice, staying in the coop. Haven't seen a single one so much as look outside!
They are perfectly happy-- roosting, preening, napping, eating-- but inside.
Get a big blown up picture of Nardole the hawk killer and put it in your yard! Booyah!

Claws? Out.
Spurs? Ready.
Beak? Open.
Wings? FLOGGING.

What a rooster. Survived 2 attacks too. He is amazing!

Oh my gosh! I had a tear!! What a man!
I dread the day that you post and he has fought to the death... I don’t think I could bare it:hit... please, please, please keep him in:oops:... even though, what makes him SO spectacular is his wonderful guarding ability and charm:love:bow... I think I love him!

Rory is USELESS as a guard. He was hiding in the bushes with the hens!
Nardole, with his skinny frame and limited vision, proves ANYONE can be a flock protector!
What a rooster. Survived 2 attacks too. He is amazing!
Amazing, and amazingly LUCKY. Here's hoping he keeps this luck!

Alright, this story isn't QUITE as impressive as the last one, but it is funny as heck.

I bought myself comfy new pajama pants, because I am an adult, and I wanted to.
Today, I put them on over lunch because I had a long lunch, and felt like it.
I decided to take some mushy apples out to my chickies, so pop on my slippers, and head on out!
I had opened the coop to give them an hour free ranging, but didn't know where they were, so went to look, and before I can call them, I stroll past the Bushes of DOOM and
OUT
COMES
A DRAGON
:eek:
NARDOLE
Kicking
Flogging
PECKING he nearly pulled my new pjs right off he grabbed them so hard!!!
:eek::eek::eek:
Nardole will occasionally feint at my new boots or do a half-hearted lunge at an unfamiliar pair of sneakers, bot nothing like this, ever. It was startling as HECK so I shout "NARDOLE WHAT DOING?!" (not a typo I actually said that)
Nardole: :eek:

Me: :hmm
Nardole::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: "WHAT WIZARDRY IS THIS?!?!? DIFFERENT LEGS?! HOW DIFFERENT?!? HEAD SAME?! LEGS DIFFERENT?!?!?!?"
Me::rolleyes:

Right then, the wind blew and rustled my pjs so NARDOLE CAME IN FOR THE KILL!!
No lie, if he had had spurs, they would have drawn blood.
I SQUATTED DOWN.

:th
You should have SEEN him! He leaped into the air, ran away, came back, ran away, screamed an alarm call, ran back, realized I was giving him an apple, picked it up, started to tidbit, tried to attack my pants AND hold the apple, ran away, came back, decided my pants were not a predator, called the hens over and cautiously accepted the apples.
BUT HE KEPT A WEATHER EYE ON THOSE DANGEROUS PJS.

Back
Top Bottom