Narragansett chicks

Michael sr

Hatching
Oct 9, 2023
IMG_5130.jpeg
IMG_5107.jpeg

Hello this is my first time raising turkeys. One did display as in the picture. Their only three months old. I’d like to put to rest the sex debate. I’ve seen pictures of hens with a lot of nodules. Just want to be sure.
Thank you

Looks like a young hen displaying.

FYI, young turkeys are not chicks, they are poults.
Thank you
The pictures is about two weeks old since then the snood has grown and hanging down the side of the beak. Do hens get a long snood? This bird also is a great deal larger than the other three as well as dark black back feathers.

Thank you
The pictures is about two weeks old since then the snood has grown and hanging down the side of the beak. Do hens get a long snood? This bird also is a great deal larger than the other three as well as dark black back feathers.
That would imply that it is a tom. While hens can get snoods that swell enough to reach the end of their beak, only toms get snoods long enough to dangle inches below the end of the beak.

That would imply that it is a tom. While hens can get snoods that swell enough to reach the end of their beak, only toms get snoods long enough to dangle inches below the end of the beak.
Thank you again. We are really hoping to have a Tom and three hens. Tomorrow I’ll get a new picture. I really appreciate your experience

Back
Top Bottom