Narragansett turkey breeders need your advice

Saskfarmgirl

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 27, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
So I contacted a very nice woman who is willing to sell me one of her breeding hens and Tom. We are going to be driving 7 hrs there to turn around and drive 7 hrs back. What concerns me is she described this hen as white with black speckles. Sounds to me like a Royal Palm. I don t want to waste all my time not to mention the cost. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
I would be cautious about driving that kind of distance without clearer descriptions and more pictures. I went after some "free hens" only an hour away from my house. The person who gave them to me told me over the phone that there were 6 hens and asked if I wanted a couple roosters. He said that they were all less than a year old, and that they were a rare breed. It turned out there were 4 Old English Bantam Roosters -2 of which he had pulled all the tail feathers off in an to attempt to mask their gender- 3 Old English Bantam Hens, and an ancient RIR-cross hen with spurs as long as my pinky. People sometimes don't know what they have, and at other times deliberately mislead you just to get rid of something they don't want.

Wow that is horrible. He should have just put them down and made soup if he couldn t get rid of them honestly.
I generally stay away from free birds. This woman never meant to sell a hen she was just willing to part with her when I told her I wanted them for breeding.
I did get a free buff roo last year when I purchased a blue slate Tom and he has been a great addition to our farm.
I am definitely texting her tonight to email me some clear pics.
This is just a new breed to me I thought I would seek breeders advice if its possible to get a bird with that much white from a Narragansett breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom