Narragansett turkey egg/jenny question

affacat

Crowing
12 Years
May 21, 2011
Oregon (Northwest, Clackamas County)
Our 5 Narragansett turkey Jennies are laying... But all in the same nesting pile. I made 4 separated nesting zones but they don't care. There are 12 eggs there currently I've removed another 20 or so.

Should I be removing some? Should I remove the older ones or the newer ones? How should I proceed?

best case at least one Jenny would go broody and sit on them, we would like some new chicks this year!

I leave a marked dated egg in each nest I hope they will used. I give fresher eggs when they go broody. They will do what they want. sometimes more than one goes broody in the same nest. sometimes they steal eggs and they get broken or they fight over poults ... sometimes its one big happy family

Ok, so I could put eggs in the other nests hoping they decide to spread out?

How many eggs should I keep in the main nest they are using?

I'm very confused as I would have thought one would go broody by now, instead they just keep laying eggs!

Ok, so I could put eggs in the other nests hoping they decide to spread out?
That's what I do. Sometimes it works. Sometimes they move the eggs
How many eggs should I keep in the main nest they are using?
At least one dated
I'm very confused as I would have thought one would go broody by now, instead they just keep laying eggs!
They haven't reached that magic number 😂.

No single one of the hens has reached her magic number yet.

Ok. So basically the issue is they are absolute goofballs and I'm not really doing anything wrong, I just have to wait for them to figure it out.

I will spread out some eggs today and see if I can get them laying in multiple nests.

I assume they basically know how long the eggs 'last' and they will usually start sitting on them while they're still good.

Do turkey eggs last as long as chicken eggs in regards to eating? Ive taken in 20 or so at this point and don't want to sell them past their prime

Back
Top Bottom