Narragansett turkey laying question

Keleigh

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Ferrum
Hi, newbie here!

I have 5 Narragansett turkeys (2 toms, 3 hens). They are almost 8 months old. I have been waiting to see some eggs from my hens, so I can begin raising some babies, but I have yet to see any eggs.

Should I feed them laying pellets, like I feed my chickens?

Are they still too young to produce eggs?

Also, they live in a completely enclosed pen (about 50 square feet). I would like to let them out this spring to eat some grass and get some exercise. Are Narragansetts flighty? I have not clipped their wings or anything. I ordered them from Welp hatchery.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!

Should I feed them laying pellets, like I feed my chickens?

Yes you'll need to feed them some sorta layer feed, preferably gamebird, but chicken will do.

Are they still too young to produce eggs?

Just right. They will start when they want. But you might be or going to have a problem keeping 2 toms in the same pen, especially a small one like that. They will fight more then they will breed.

Are Narragansetts flighty?

They can and will fly, as all heritage turkeys go. If they are at home feed and not startled or scared they should stay in pretty good, but I would clip the wings of the hens for sure. the tom will stay where the hens are.

I would also separate the toms, only one tom to the hens you got.​

I have large laying boxes.

I guess I should get rid of one of my toms. They were all raised together so I just figured they would not fight. Only one of the toms strutts his stuff regularly.

Anyone want a Narragansett tom in Southwest VA??

Harp Turkey Ranch, I have never clipped wings before...should this be done by a vet (my aunt is a vet) or is it something I can do??

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Harp Turkey Ranch, I have never clipped wings before...should this be done by a vet (my aunt is a vet) or is it something I can do??

No its very simple. For your first time have your aunt come show you and then you can do it as it is real easy to do. Just gotta make sure you don't cut through the blood filled feathers. again real easy to see and to do.​

Your toms may not fight but having only 3 hens they will rip the backs pretty bad unless you want to put turkey saddles on them. You may let them out, but more than likely they will decide where they want to lay their eggs, next to a bush on in the fence line. Then you will be hunting turkey nests. they are a little more sneaky than most chickens.

Thanks,

I just gave away one of my toms today. So, I'll stop the madness before it starts.

They are having their wings clipped on Monday.

They are still going to have a fence surrounding them when I do let them out...so hopefully they will go back to the coop to nest.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom