Narragansett Turkeys, Anyone?

Here are some of my Narragansett 'babies' that I hatched out last summer (photo was taken just recently).

They are more like big feathered puppies than any bird I've ever raised...not a mean bone in their bodies and they totally spoiled rotten and constantly underfoot. They even hop on the tractor and ride around the place. They are SUPER hardy, but they are definitely NOT stupid. Ever since they've been about two months old, these have been totally free-ranged (as is NO fence, NO barn, NO feed other than treats) and they roost in the trees near the barn at night. And I haven't lost a single one. The very first weekend they were on their own, it came a downpour and I worried about them all night long (the old wives tale about young turkeys drowning and all that). I got up the next morning and ran out to find them just fine and perfectly content. And they've been that way ever since, even throughout the snow and minus 0 temps we've had this winter. Now keep in mind they have free access to a nice warm barn with roosts and straw filled nest boxes, but they simply choose not to go in it. So I just let them do what they want. Oh, and these are the very first turkeys I've raised. And I hatched them out from eggs I bought on ebay...and in an ancient 30+ year old still-air styrofoam incubator. :)

Hi all,

I would go with the Narragansett as well. Great animal, beautiful colors, natural breeding, great parents, both male and female, good meat, easy to keep with other animals, etc.... etc....

Is there anybody who has some eggs already. I am looking for some Narragansett eggs the upcoming 2/3 weeks to strengthen my bloodline. Any number will do and willing to pay seriously.

Our girls should be laying soon. We have a show quality line of Narragansett from Oklahoma Heritage Poultry. The birds are HUGE and healthy and have been practicing their mating moves for a week or two, which means the eggs will be coming soon. You can see the parent stock on our facebook page at Chick N Stuff.

I have a Narragansett tom and hen that are the third generation of my foundation stock, and another Narragansett tom and hen from another line. All have wonderful temperaments, good size, and my line has exceptionally bright, clear silver colors. I am now looking for larger, well refined hens (I had a large hen with great conformation a couple of years ago, but her temperament wasn't one I wanted in my stock, so she was retired to the dinner table). I'm in SE Michigan and would love to buy one or two Narragansett breeding hens with large size and good conformation, or a dozen hatching eggs from pure, good Narragansett stock.

Commercial broad breasted turkeys cannot naturally breed because of their size, has nothing to do with intelligence. You can get heritage broad breasted bronze which have a bit of a smaller breast, but have no problems breeding naturally. Narragansetts are a good choice for meat production, however keep in mind they mature much slower than commercial meat birds so they take longer to grow and reach a good weight.
there is no such thing a heritage broad breasted bronze it's just called standard bronze

Heritage was a poor choice in wording...standard and commercial would be the more proper term, and there is a difference. People tend to be upset if they purchase commercial BBB for breeding only to find a bunch of infertile eggs. Your loctation also plays a part on terms as well. A spanish black turkey is also known as an artisan gold elsewhere. Some will say they are the same, others will say they are different.

Back
Top Bottom