Narragansett vs Royal Palm

Snackdraggin

Chirping
Mar 26, 2018
New to turkeys and wanna give it a go this year .Local breeder has both narragansett and royal palm turkeys available and was wondering of anyone had an opinion on which would be better for a beginner. I have a 1/2 acre for them to run on with a large field owned by my uncle next door. Plan to free range them for the most part. Have 10 chickens for them to be with but will likely build them their own coop or let them roost in the trees on the property if they will. thanks for any wisdom .

Whatever one you find more appealing. Both are heritage and should be very similar in most regards. Royal palms tend to be a smaller variety, line depending. Narri's sex link so that's nice.

All depends on what you're looking to get out of the birds and end goals. If you're looking for just the experience, Royal Palms are very showy (lawn art) and a bit smaller birds. Narragansett are larger and beautiful in their own right and have the definite edge when it comes to the dinner table.

All in all, if you have experience raising chickens I would certainly give turkeys a go. Not really any more work, but a great experience that's a bit different than chickens. Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy your birds.

Back
Top Bottom