1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

narrowed down the breeds, help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carousel, Oct 2, 2008.

1. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I have chicks from Ideal,
    they are 1 week old
    My camera batteries are charging so will have pic later today after work.
    The chicks were from a light breed assortment, the person I talked to at Ideal could not really help me tell the difference I'm hoping someone here might have pic of the breeds I have at similar age.
    I have narrowed down between
    Black Minorca and Production Blacks
    To be honest I could have both breeds LOL but I'm pretty sure based on what Ideal has right now I have narrowed the breeds down.
    thanks for any help!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Once you get some pictures posted then people here will be able to help you. It's just to hard to guess without actually seeing them.

3. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    yes I was wondering if anyone HAD pictures of the chicks
    Black Minorca and Production Blacks
    I have spent a lot of time looking on the web, have not been able to find much. I may just need to wait until they feather out.
    I will try again tonight, been a darn busy week!
    seeing a picture of a chick I KNEW was one breed or the other I thought would be helpful instead of guessing mine.
    thanks!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    While you are waiting, try going to www.mcmurrayhatchery.com and type the breed into the search box. Under the description of each breed you will see a small pic of what the breed looks like as a chick. Click to enlarge to the pic. They don't have production blacks per se, but I think that would be the same thing as a black star...I think.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    feathersite.com ,enter the "chickens" section. go to Ms, for Minorcas. and production blacks (Which are sexlinks i believe?) Would be in the S under sexlink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by