NASHVILLE, TN / METRO DAVIDSON COUNTY POULTRY ORDINANCES

Nashville Urban Hen Bill: FINAL READING TONIGHT
The final reading and voting on the Nashville Urban Hen Bill is expected for tonight (Tuesday, January 17, 2012) at 6:30pm at the Metro Courthouse. If you can make it, supporters will be wearing yellow. Due to some recent misleading press coverage, the opposition is growing. Please email your council members today and let your voice be heard - every letter counts! Also, "like" the UCAN (Urban Chicken Advocates of Nashville) Facebook page to receive updates (http://www.facebook.com/UCANUrbanChickenAdvocatesofNashville)

Email to: [email protected]
Subject: Vote Yes: Urban Hen Bill
Body:
Dear Council Members,
I am writing you today to request your support by voting yes on the Urban Hen Bill. This bill appears to put in place sufficient guidelines to encourage responsible ownership of a small number of backyard hens. While a much smaller number of people will choose to own hens than those that own dogs, passing this bill will allow those who wish to be responsible hen owners and have access to healthy eggs in their back yards to do so, while probably going unnoticed to the majority of Nashville.

Thank you for your consideration and hope that you will support allowing backyard hens in Nashville.

Sincerely,
Name
District #

I have put a lot of thought into this topic and, in the end, I decided "Who are they to tell me whether or not I can raise chickens as a way of feeding my family?" It seems obvious, to me, that so long as they animals are healthy and well taken care of...that this sould be my right as a human being in providing for my family to keep these animals. ..without needing to ask permission.
D.gif

I am respectful of my neighbors and only keep hens. I've gone to great lengths to provide the best living conditions for my hens and I truly enjoy just sitting outside watching them do what chickens do.

If I was reported by my neighbor, that neighbor would really dislike me after that- BUT I have pretty good relationships with my neighbors.

You can keep chickens in Nashville now. You need a permit.... metro codes does drive bys looking for chickens without permits. The permit is from Jan - Dec and is $25 a year. If you live in an area zoned agricultural you don't need a permit and you don't have any limits on the number of chickens.

Hello all! I live in Goodlettsville and I would like to get something similar passed as well. Anyone willing to help please contact me, thanks!

Great thread. I'm in Mt. Juliet and would like to know how to get this passed. BTW - I'm on 1 1/2 acres and they said I can't. I don't see why that would be a problem for 4 hens.

The backyard hen keeping ordinance in Davidson County, Nashville, Tennessee passed last night (1/21/14) with no districts exempted!! The KenJi girls are celebrating! It's been a two year battle for our city! Power to the Peeps!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom