Nasty Ermine!

chicken gal

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
There has been a ermine that has attacked one of my chickens and I want to set a trap to, you know,
th.gif
. Does anybody know a trap or way to get rid of it.

Thanks,
Chicken Gal

Any animal trap should work. Then shoot it or fill a trashcan with water and drop the trap in. Make sure the water is deep enough.

There are 'dog proof leg traps' that work well for raccoons and possums, I imagine they would work for ermine too.

Until ermine is known to be gone or dispatched, get flock up and off the ground. I raise them up of move them farther away from water way / wetland the predator is typically using as its hunting grounds.

An ermine is nothing but a plain old weasel dressed up in a Panama suite. So this should work for your ermine problem.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364892

A floating version also works for mink and by catch is never a problem with either mink or weasels.

With the Christmas season almost here, remember to keep your chickens safe, by buying your wife or girlfriend a fur coat.

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Any animal trap should work. Then shoot it or fill a trashcan with water and drop the trap in. Make sure the water is deep enough.

There are 'dog proof leg traps' that work well for raccoons and possums, I imagine they would work for ermine too.
Will it drown the ermine?

Will it drown the ermine?
The ermine is caught inside a box with a full size gopher trap similar to the old fashion snap mouse trap. Suffice it to say that any weasel is immediately killed by the gopher trap and that nothing bigger that about 1 1/2 or 2 inches in diameter can even get inside the box. So the old lady down the street's fufu dog is perfectly safe around a weasel box.

The ermine is caught inside a box with a full size gopher trap similar to the old fashion snap mouse trap. Suffice it to say that any weasel is immediately killed by the gopher trap and that nothing bigger that about 1 1/2 or 2 inches in diameter can even get inside the box. So the old lady down the street's fufu dog is perfectly safe around a weasel box.
Fufu, ha! But yeah I understand.

Easy enough to get a size 0 to #3 traps on ebay and start setting
and batting and bacon works great and cover the trap in the day
time to keep the chickens out and never remove old bait gust
keep adding till you catch you varmints ......... I like the tunnel
traps myself as the trap is inside the tube and this helps to lower
the casualty's of unwanted victims .............
he.gif

gander007

The weasel box trap is a good idea if you need to make sure other animals don't get into it, a simpler yet effective way is to not bother with the box and simply fasten the trap down low on a tree and wire the bait to the trigger, set the trap and the weasel will go for the meat and snap, he's done for.

Back
Top Bottom