Nasty flesh wound on young Buff Orpington (Picture)PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!

Quote:
Neosporin or Polysporin applied twice a day should stop any infection. You can reduce that to once a day when it scabs over as long as you see no red or inflammed spots. Electrolytes (for a few days) and increased protein will help as well. It will take 4 to 6 weeks for that to heal and start regrowing feathers so be prepared to keep him separated for a good while. I do not blu-kote or reintroduce mine until the wound was completely healed because birds will often peck others on the head during "disagreements".

You are going to have to figure out what is cusing your other birds to peck like this though. I've been told it can be caused by inadequate space or protein, I changed both and the issues stopped.

I am going to add a link to the thread I created when I was dealing with this. Your bird's injuries are not as bad as the main bird in the thread but hopefully you will find some helpful info.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501351

+++ Second all of that and yes, actually upping the protein was one of the things that helped when I was having a picking problems.

Thanks for the link. Think I really need to figure out why they pecked her. My girls aren't crowded at all. They're actually quite over priveleged
smile.png
They have a very large coop and free run of my backyard which is 1/3 of an acre. They get plenty of extra treats, too, many of which are high in protein (they're particularily fond of yogurt, string cheese and nuts). So now I'm worried how I keep this from happening again. Thoughts?

Quote:
I added scrambled eggs to their diet, started free ranging more, and added a roo that plucks tail feathers everytime they fight with each other. My main bully now has no tail feathers left but has learned to play well with others.
roll.png

My chimera got scalped by some of my older gamefowl chicks when she was a chick and the skin was completely gone in a huge area. I almost culled her (at that point I was not aware that she was chimera). I think anyone else would have, it was that bad. I pulled the skin tight and sutured the ends together. Nothing was needed except betadine. Here, you can see that she was healing nicely but she was scarred for life. Your hen should heal just fine.

023.jpg

I Use bactine on all injuries. I would flush it well and spray it with bactine. Use plastic thread and sew it with a few stitches and cover with neosporin.
Bactine is the best for birds...and it kills pain!
Ive been through tons of these and when they are open like that I just sew em up with a few stitches...no problem...the chickens just sit there without even wincing.
good luck!

Quote:
Check again. This cuts sometimes look like the chunk of skin is gone but usualy it is not. Try puling the skin up and if it stretches with no problem, then you will know that is just a cut and not the hole chunk of skin gone; dont be afraid, this will not hurt; the stitching however, if you dont feel you can do it, then dont, but I would encourage you to be strong and do it, this way, the healing process will be much more faster. You will save your self and the chicken mutual agony.

Back
Top Bottom