Nasty rooster is gone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brown egg 25, Jan 18, 2016.

1. brown egg 25

brown egg 25 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    I culled my nasty rooster today. Im just wondering how it will change things with my hens. Can someone who has done this before tell me the positives and negatives of doing this.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Positives:
    It will be quieter
    It may be more peaceful
    you won't get attacked any more

Indifferent:
    The hens may seem a bit out of sorts for about 3 days

Negatives:
    No more fertile eggs
    No flock peacekeeper
    No flock guardian
    Hens will be more vulnerable to daytime predators

There are others but those are the highlights

3. brown egg 25

brown egg 25 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    Will one of my hens take over as leader of flock? Will it just be 5 hens that do there own thing

4. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    Usually one of the girls will end up being "the boss"- whoever is at the top of the pecking order, most likely. Some particularly dominant hens even go so far as crowing and other roo behaviors in the absence of a roo, but that's not common. Usually one hen will be the leader, but might not be as dedicated/involved as a good roo would be.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Girls have their own hierarchy, roo or not. I can't see anything but good coming of getting rid of a nasty roo. I no longer have a roo and my flock is much more seemingly content and I know I am for sure. As for protection from predators or at least acting as sentry, I'm not convinced- my flock uses squirrels as a sentry and they whoop the butt of any roo (where I live, at least).

And possibly most importantly, I don't get any earache from my wife about crowing! :D

Ct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by