nasty water

mammakugs

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
Parkdale, OR
Ok. I don't know how to fix the problem with nasty water. My chicks keep scratching the pine shavings into the water dispenser. And I think they are pooping in it too. It is gross. I keep pulling out the shavings but they keep doing it. I raised the water up onto an upside down plastic plate but bit didn't quite solve the problem. Any ideas?

I am going to look around. I wasn't sure if they would be able to reach it. They are 1 week old.
What about making a stand for it raised up and then make a platform around it for the chicks. Then they can reach but they shavings will stay down below. I'm thinking take a few bricks and put the water in the center maybe on top of a 2x4. Chicks can jump pretty darn high.

If you find a way let me know pleeease... No matter how high I go with mine, they find a way to either put bedding in it, or poop in it.
barnie.gif
It's crazy...it's like they look for a way to do it. Anyways I guess that's their way of making sure they get fresh water every day. Not that I don't already do that...
idunno.gif

If you find a way let me know pleeease... No matter how high I go with mine, they find a way to either put bedding in it, or poop in it.
barnie.gif
It's crazy...it's like they look for a way to do it. Anyways I guess that's their way of making sure they get fresh water every day. Not that I don't already do that...
idunno.gif

You may want to consider using a nipple watering system - this type of system eliminates the birds being able to get anything into the water as it eliminates the "tray" portion of the water dispenser, replacing it with individual water nipples.

Thank you. I will definitely give it a try. They may not like it I am taking their 'fun' away, but I can't stand not knowing if they have clean water when I am away.

Back
Top Bottom