National Anthem

I was always taught to stand. Also taught to either put my hand over my heart or to keep my arms still at my sides or behind my back if for some weird reason, I chose not to cover my heart.
In my very small town, no person over the age of annoyingteen kept a hat on or disrespected the flag. Some at an elderly age could not stand and that's okay. They want to and that's what counts. We hold a Veteran's Day celebration at our High School every year and it's so amazing to see a very fragile Veteran, using his walker as an anchor, wobbly stand up and stay standing for the whole Anthem and then look in the bleachers to see a very disrespectful crowd of annoyingteens sitting on their butts, with fully functioning legs. I'm sorry but if that 80 year old man with very limited mobility can stand, then so can you Mr. Annoyingteen!
I do understand what you mean Eenie, about some people just can not. However, many can, but won't.

my dad was a Marine,my grandfather and i both are Army vets.even before being a soldier i stood.i get chills whenever i hear it
played ,wether on TV or live.any patriotic song does that to me.my 6yo sons favorite movie is The Sandlot.i get chills when Ray Charles sings God Bless America and the fireworks go off.i am very proud to feel that way.

Good post Eenie! But to clarify, when I say that I respect people who sit quietly for any reason, I also mean political/idealogical reasons, and not just a physical or situational inability to. :)

Good post Eenie! But to clarify, when I say that I respect people who sit quietly for any reason, I also mean political/idealogical reasons, and not just a physical or situational inability to. :)

Thanks.
tongue.png
And yes, I agree with that too... We can't know what's going on inside their heads. All we can do is mind our own business and give the flag, anthem, and everything else the respect that we personally feel is due, be that standing with our hands over our hearts, or simply sitting quietly and reflecting, as Sourland said. Respect can be shown in many different ways.

Edited to be more polite.

I have respect for those who stand proudly at attention. I have respect for those who choose to sit quietly for their own reasons. I do not have respect for the act of talking during the anthem, disturbing others. But, I also do not respect the act of badgering and especially *physically* forcing those around one's person to act as said person sees fit. I can tell you who I would be looking at in disgust at a game. It wouldn't be someone sitting down quietly, not disturbing anyone. It'd be the person jabbing at them.
Punk, I agree with this. While here, we don't have the custom of standing for the anthem as in America, I think it's polite to respect other people's and opinions. As someone who isn't particularly patriotic, I'm glad to see some people understand that others may have different views on things. :)

Thanks. :p And yes, I agree with that too... We can't know what's going on inside their heads. All we can do is mind our own business and give the flag, anthem, and everything else the respect that we personally feel is due, be that standing with our hands over our hearts, or simply sitting quietly and reflecting, as Sourland said. Respect can be shown in many different ways.

I agree with this too. It is none of my business to, as you put it, badger another person to stand for the Anthem. That is their choice. There is such a broad spectrum of patriotism that it doesn't seem right to force people to do something that may be against their views, whatever type of views those are.

I sure hope respect for the flag and national anthem is not a passing thing. It sometimes feels like the 'younger' generations don't appreciate all that they stand for. I spent 30 years teaching -- and we said the pledge every school day of those years. Some years I think I was the only teacher doing that. We learned the meaning of the pledge and memorized the national anthem as well as proper flag respect, handling and rules.

While it is no longer a part of the curriculum (and should be), I still taught all the songs about America as well.

Still, when I told my young grandsons at a parade to stand and remove their hats as the flag passed, my daughter said I was being ridiculous and few of the other adults bothered to move from their chairs.

Sigh!

Actually, Wisconsin isn't as bad as many other parts of the country. Lots of people here still stand and sing along if just the band is playing or the anthem is sung close to 'normal'.

I do love the song, but most countries have a much easier anthem to sing. If given the choice, I would have picked 'America the Beautiful' or 'My Country 'Tis of Thee'.

To each their own, but I'm proud of that flag and I'm proud
of what it stands for.

To see that American flag standing tall on a windy day...it
still moves me. And nothing sadder than to see her flying
half-mast.

And if the day ever comes that I can no longer stand on my own
for the National Anthem, then I'll want the people around me to
grab me by the arms and hold me up.

Back
Top Bottom