National Anthem

I'm agnostic and I DO stand for the National Anthem! I am proud of our country and how hard we worked to get there. No other countries (probably Canada and England) have such freedom like we do.

A few times I could not stand but I would SING and put my hand over my heart! (darn scatic nerve!) However in MOST cases I am able to stand and bear the pain while the Anthem is being played. What a few minutes of pain would give to our country! Nothing but PROUD!

For the disabled folks, people of different nationality or religions, and moms with babes in hand, they are forgiven for standing. Its not their fault. However those unrespectful folks (mostly teenagers, defiant 20'ers) ought to be kicked in the backside!

As for the Pledge of Alligance in schools, I am glad my daughter goes to private school that uses "God" in the verses. That is how I was brought up and why change the good thing when we had it over, what, fifty, sixty years? (I may not believe God himself but sense of higher being .... however it is for my daughter, so it is a very respectful thing to do for me to give a good example).

Also, Taps is being played. Some do stand and some do sit.

Last edited:
Having just read through this whole thread the thing that strikes me most as the difference between America and other countries (certainly ours) is that we stand during the national anthem because it's just what one does, you stand because you want to out of your immense pride in your country. I think that's wonderful!

Don't want to hijack the thread Highlander, but I sincerely hope we, on both sides of the border, will still be standing for the same national anthem in the future. Like most 'English' people we have Scottish forbears, and we will always believe that the Union is bigger than the sum of it's parts.

Don't want to hijack the thread Highlander, but I sincerely hope we, on both sides of the border, will still be standing for the same national anthem in the future. Like most 'English' people we have Scottish forbears, and we will always believe that the Union is bigger than the sum of it's parts.

Whatever the outcome of the next few years, I fear that the process is going to drive a large wedge between Scotland and the rest of the Kingdom and I don't believe anyone wants that (apart from Salmond of course!) Things are not going to be the same. But I'm glad you feel that way because obviously we are getting fed a lot of Nationalist propoganda and we're hearing a different story!

I am such a sap when it comes to the National Anthem, that I do all of the above, and usually tear up pretty good too. I am homegrown.

Old time home grown here.
old.gif
I understand and accept the right of others to do as they choose, but a part of me feels sad for them that they are missing that reaction.

Back
Top Bottom