Natural cat litter in coop?

I wear a mask when I'm cleaning the coop in the mornings. Dust is worse when they wake up and start flapping wings and jumping around. Birds have LOTS of dander and even if you had a dust free bedding, the dander would take over. I've accepted that chickens are really dirty and gross. That being said, I love them anyways and I am covered in chicken dust/dander everyday. :jumpy

Your coop is really nice! Love the colors, etc.

Lots is thoughts above. Yes, chickens themselves are dusty! They create dust even when growing feathers. But most animals shed something and are therefore dusty, like humans who shed dead skin cells. So we sweep, swiffer, mop, and vacuum. Maybe part of the daily or weekly chores are to wipe down walls, and wash the curtains on a certain routine.

The number of chickens also matter here. Not sure what numbers you have, but it doesn’t look like you have a lot of them bc the coop (and walls) would be dirtier I think.

You can wash chickens, however, it’s not something to do a lot. But, your white chickens are coffee colored, so it might be worth a bath once you switch. I typically use a very mild and unscented dish soap that is low sudsing. I’ve bought the last one from Walmart baby aisle -for washing baby bottles. A bin of warm-ish water, add soap, swish it around, add chicken and hold firmly bc they will likely try to escape this new and frightening experience. I keep their head and neck out of the water. I will gently swish and lightly scrub with one hand (other holding chicken at all times), under wings, between legs, legs and feet too. If they need something washed off near/on head be very careful to avoid eyes and nose. If they are very desperate, they may have already dunked their head, but do your best to keep their head out of the water. Next place into bin of rinse water. Lightly rub with fingers and rinse. This is where low sudsing soap is handy- there is less difficulty to get a good rinse. Remove and wrap in towel. Press the towel to them to sop up water -don’t rub with the towel. Now use a hair dryer to dry them off-focus on their under feathers, under their wings and bottom fluff. They LIKE the hair dryer! Dry them very well if it’s cold outside, but if it’s warm then drying their under feathers well is just fine.

Regarding clay/non clumping litter, I believe it isn’t good for them bc the clay may cause issues as they eat it and they will eat it, some more than others. I wouldn’t get scented bc birds and poultry have sensitive respiratory tracks.

In your situation, I would clean more regularly. I’ve heard of people using shredded paper too, but no matter what, the poop will get on the litter and dry. The dried poop gets scratched around by chickens doing chicken behavior, and this also creates dust. So, it’s just something to manage.

Good luck.

I am at my wits end with the dust in the coop and looking for a less dusty option. I just spent a lot of time and money switching to coffee and I am not a fan. I drove 3 hrs three different trips to get enough to switch from sand to coffee and it's been 2 months or less and there is now black dust on everything, my chickens look so gross-no longer have any white brahmas, they are all coffee stained etc. It smells fine, but I don't like it and was looking at "natural" cat litter now, but honestly don't know what to do. I was looking at World's Best Cat Litter plain or Lavender, I have tried Sand, sand and coffee, wood chips, pine pellets, and just coffee and am at my wits end with the dust. LMK if you can help please.😢😭
If you are interested in how feathers grow and why they are so dusty there's a video from an acquaintances' (Dr. Alan Brush, emeritus UCONN Storrs) research ;
showing how feathers develop and when the keratin sheath "dissolves". It is that sheath, composed of skin cells, that creates a lot of the very fine dust that gets Everywhere.

Because it is so bad I can't enjoy being with them or take my grandsons in the coop. It is like baby powder on everything.
That coop looks like it was so much fun to design! Unfortunately chickens are indeed dusty because they have to dirt bathe in order to keep parasites down. They will be swarming with mites and/or chicken lice if they don't, so it's just kind of part of the package. Proper hygiene includes dirt, and it definitely gets messy after a while but at least it keeps them healthy.

I've heard that clay cat litter can cause serious digestive issues if eaten. It swells up and causes blockages.

I use hay and sand.

Back
Top Bottom