Natural cat litter in coop?

We have huge windows on the front of our coop that only have 1/2" hardware cloth on them (I think the window is about 4' x 4'). The coop doesn't seem dusty at all. The run is more dusty because most of the walls have greenhouse plastic on it. Maybe adding some big windows would help.

You could also get or find a pet bird to spend time with. I found it much more satisfying when I interacted with parrots since they can really connect to you. I think a lot of folks (me included) hope to have a pet experience with chickens, but later find that it is hard to accomplish since they live more like livestock does. I kind of lowered my expectations of my time with them after I fully realized that.

We have huge windows on the front of our coop that only have 1/2" hardware cloth on them (I think the window is about 4' x 4'). The coop doesn't seem dusty at all. The run is more dusty because most of the walls have greenhouse plastic on it. Maybe adding some big windows would help.

You could also get or find a pet bird to spend time with. I found it much more satisfying when I interacted with parrots since they can really connect to you. I think a lot of folks (me included) hope to have a pet experience with chickens, but later find that it is hard to accomplish since they live more like livestock does. I kind of lowered my expectations of my time with them after I fully realized that.
Same! Chickens dont want my hugs, lol

No. The worlds best litter says it is 100% natural corn and even the scented is 100% natural it says? There is also clay litter that is supposed to be 100% natural, just wondering if it would be safe?
Any litter that forms clumps when it absorbs moisture will be very bad news if a chicken eats any of it.

Where I live, I can buy straw with the dust extracted from it. That might be a good option for you.

I am at my wits end with the dust in the coop and looking for a less dusty option. I just spent a lot of time and money switching to coffee and I am not a fan. I drove 3 hrs three different trips to get enough to switch from sand to coffee and it's been 2 months or less and there is now black dust on everything, my chickens look so gross-no longer have any white brahmas, they are all coffee stained etc. It smells fine, but I don't like it and was looking at "natural" cat litter now, but honestly don't know what to do. I was looking at World's Best Cat Litter plain or Lavender, I have tried Sand, sand and coffee, wood chips, pine pellets, and just coffee and am at my wits end with the dust. LMK if you can help please.😢😭
I use Worlds Best for my cats. By the looks of it it could be mistaken for chick crumble. It is made from corn. I'd err on the side of caution before committing to a coop full of it.

I don't think I saw anyone mention using just a bare linoleum flooring. I mean it would be to most dust free to maybe pine. Clean up...I don't want to go there. But I have seen where people do it. Why...haven't a clue. Seems silly to me. 🙃
Seriously speaking...maybe consider doing what I do with sand dust issues. I lightly mist it before cleaning.
Like everyone has said...you will never have dust free...they are a bird..all birds are 'dusty'..
Hope you find a solution!
Because chickens need something cushiony to land on when jumping down from the roosts.

I agree with what others have said.

I can see from your beautiful coop that you absolutely love it and have taken a lot of care in making it look lovely. But I think you are setting really high standards almost as if it's inside your house, and you need to lower those standards considerably. Chickens are filthy animals! I love them to bits but they will thwart all attempts you make to keep their housing clean. Sit in the run and enjoy them there.

I use dust extracted shavings and chopped straw that I buy as horse bedding at my local feed store. It's not dusty at all. Until the chickens have used it for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom