holiduck

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
Hi, I am taking care of friends' young duck couple who had never gone broody before. It's about day 24-26 (I don't bother them and they did remove some non-viables in the first 2 weeks, so anything is only approximate). Their behavior is different this morning - normally he gets her up, they forage and bathe together in the yard, and he returns her to the egg box. This goes on for about an hour each morning and he often waits at the gate like it's a bus stop. Not today. He even took a lot of time to come out. She makes content sounds but stays on the eggs. I trust she knows a helluva lot better what to do, but am wondering if the hive mind knows - is it possible that pipping started and she'd rather stay with the eggs? He continues to encourage her to come out, but no.
If there are any tips and tricks for me and these soon-to-be new parents, please share!

What breed of ducks? When ducklings begin to hatch it would be best to separate the drake but where he can still see his mate and the ducklings. Drakes aren’t always nice and have been known to kill ducklings. Even though he is attentive now it’s always best to err on the side caution.

What breed of ducks? When ducklings begin to hatch it would be best to separate the drake but where he can still see his mate and the ducklings. Drakes aren’t always nice and have been known to kill ducklings. Even though he is attentive now it’s always best to err on the side caution.
does that go for ganders too? i hope not

He's a very laid-back Cayuga

Mom proudly introduced the first one. They're now back in the egg box for more sitting on the siblings/eggs. I put these bowls out for Junior as quickly as I could, but I also have duckling-safe contraptions, not shown here. The father is equally proud.
IMG_1153.jpg

Back
Top Bottom