Natural November Malay hatch

PeppyLaRoo

Chirping
Sep 10, 2015
Bowling Green, KY
I'm kind of proud of my Malay pullet. She has hatched 7 babies with two more possible, despite another female laying on top of her eggs. Three hatched out yesterday and four more today. About twenty one days ago I noticed she began sitting on 10 eggs. A week ago I noticed one egg was broken and pulled the hen off the eggs to have a look. To my surprise there were 13 eggs and not the 9 I was expecting to see. Not only that but the first eggs had been white and now some were also brown. She was sitting on so many eggs she couldn't keep them all completely covered, so I was wondering how this would effect the hatch. I have to wait until tomorrow to see if any more of the white eggs hatch. The brown eggs might hatch on different days if she keeps on sitting. With cold weather coming I brought the chicks home to the safety of our sun room. Time will tell if any more hatch. Photos are out of order but papa is in second photo down.

Awww, beautiful! If you are not going to let mom raise the chicks that hatched she will most likely continue sitting on the new eggs that were added to her clutch… I would recommend that you mark those eggs with a non-toxic marker and check daily for any MORE new arrivals!
wink.png

Thanks sumi. I plan on checking daily for more chicks. I have a barn kitty that is good at mice control, but she is also fond of the sparrows that get into the coop, so the chicks are safer in the house.

Back
Top Bottom