Nature Photography

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. Nice images. The 2017 eclipse was the first one I tried to photograph. It's what got me interested in eclipses and solar imaging.

What I like about astrophotography is, there's always room for improvement. I can shoot the same object year after year and continually improve it by learning new techniques and/or upgrading/refining the equipment and processes I use.

Take this progression of the Orion nebula for example. I have been shooting it on and off for about 10 years, but I only recently started getting higher quality images. While there has been a lot of improvement, I am still not satisfied with the final result and will definitely be shooting it some more in the future while learning how to get better at editing.

View attachment 3796864

View attachment 3796856

View attachment 3796854

View attachment 3796855

View attachment 3796857

View attachment 3796858
That's awesome! What do you use to achieve those photos?

That's awesome! What do you use to achieve those photos?
Currently I use a mirrorless camera, lenses between 100-700mm (depending on what im targeting), and a star tracker.

I started off with a basic dslr and a 55-250mm kit lens. You can actually achieve decent results with this gear. Now I never did because back then, I was taking single images and trying to edit them into something great. What you have to do is take hundreds of images and run them through a stacking software (deepskystacker). This has been one of the biggest improvements for me.

For instance, this is a single 2 second image of andromeda galaxy shot with a 100mm lens on a tripod. Not much to look at.

046A4142-Edit.jpg

This is a stack of 15, 2 second images. A little better, but not great.

andromeda 1-Edit.jpg

This is a stack of 240, 2 second images. Much improved.

andromeda9.5.23-Edit-Edit-Edit-Enhanced-SR.jpg

Using a star tracker is the next step for improving image quality. A star tracker let's you take long exposures. Instead of a 2 second long exposure, you can take one 30 seconds (or longer). This means you can gather a lot more light with much less noise. You still take dozens or hundreds of photos and run them through the stacking software. This is a stack of 48, 25 second long images....

andromeda9.14.23-3-Edit.jpg

The setup on the right is what I use for pretty much all my astro shots now. That's the star tracker. I used it during the eclipse to track the sun so I didn't have to constaly adjust the camera to keep the sun in frame. The left camera is on a gimbal so I had to adjust it every couple minutes to keep the sun centered up....

20240408_151213.jpg

Currently I use a mirrorless camera, lenses between 100-700mm (depending on what im targeting), and a star tracker.

I started off with a basic dslr and a 55-250mm kit lens. You can actually achieve decent results with this gear. Now I never did because back then, I was taking single images and trying to edit them into something great. What you have to do is take hundreds of images and run them through a stacking software (deepskystacker). This has been one of the biggest improvements for me.

For instance, this is a single 2 second image of andromeda galaxy shot with a 100mm lens on a tripod. Not much to look at.

View attachment 3796936

This is a stack of 15, 2 second images. A little better, but not great.

View attachment 3796937

This is a stack of 240, 2 second images. Much improved.

View attachment 3796938

Using a star tracker is the next step for improving image quality. A star tracker let's you take long exposures. Instead of a 2 second long exposure, you can take one 30 seconds (or longer). This means you can gather a lot more light with much less noise. You still take dozens or hundreds of photos and run them through the stacking software. This is a stack of 48, 25 second long images....

View attachment 3797128

The setup on the right is what I use for pretty much all my astro shots now. That's the star tracker. I used it during the eclipse to track the sun so I didn't have to constaly adjust the camera to keep the sun in frame. The left camera is on a gimbal so I had to adjust it every couple minutes to keep the sun centered up....

View attachment 3797130
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I finished editing a couple more images today.

I was able to capture the diamond ring.....

250A8810.jpg

I made my first attempt at an HDR image....

View attachment 3798988

I made another composite comparing the 2023 annular eclipse to the 2024 total eclipse...

annular vs total eclipse-OA.jpg

And I think this one is neat. I added the earth (sized to scale) next to the large prominence during the eclipse. It easily fits inside the void in the prominence. In case you didn't know... the sun is BIG!!!

046A1453-Enhanced-SR-Edit- earth-1.jpg

Last edited:
Fair warning, this is a big batch of nature photos.

Attachments

• IMG_7084.jpeg
    IMG_7084.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7083.jpeg
    IMG_7083.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5684.jpeg
    IMG_5684.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3378.jpeg
    IMG_3378.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6541.jpeg
    IMG_6541.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6569.jpeg
    IMG_6569.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6593.jpeg
    IMG_6593.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6651.jpeg
    IMG_6651.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2317.jpeg
    IMG_2317.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6541.jpeg
    IMG_6541.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 4
Looking at my most recent post, I realized I made a small mistake.

Somehow, a comic panel of The Far Side snuck into the batch. I guess I mis-clicked and added it.

Oh well, it’s a funny panel.

Anyway, let me explain two of my photos.

IMG_7083.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg

Yeah, that’s how slow Neptune moves in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom