Nature vs. Nurture: A Broody or an Incubator?

Which Hatching Style Works for You?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MommaG2023

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Pennsylvania
My husband and I have debated which Hatching Style or way would work best for us next Spring. We would like to hatch out 5-6 eggs from our PBB next year but know that the breed has a tendency to not become broody. We do however have a Silkie pullet who will be mature enough to set the eggs and I understand Silkies to become broody often. I like being able to care for the young chicks in our home and monitor then daily but mother nature also has proven that a mother hen can do this job also. What style of hatching do you find to be the safest and do you believe has the best turn out for eggs hatched with live and healthy chicks?

I don't think there's a safer method. Both can fail. Both can succeed. The advantage of a broody is that she'll take care of the raising for you. But she could also decide she doesn't want to and could kill the chicks at any moment
Plus some chicks are just more fragile and can die under a broody's care when they may have survived in a controlled brooder. Not to mention predators can snag them, other birds in the flock may not want them around, the weather can change if they can't fit under mom....

I've never used an incubator, but as far as I'm concerned, I will always prefer broody hens. The only problem with broody hens is if you want friendly chicks. They imprint to mama and it is real hard to get them to like you. Whereas incubator chicks/store bought chicks are more likely to be friendly with you.

I agree with @JacinLarkwell and @fluffycrow, either can fail or succeed. Also, if you end up with a mama who changes her mind and kills the chicks, either get rid of her or don't let her brood anymore. That is not a hen you want to keep.

This is my first year having a broody raise chicks and I’ll pretty much be doing it this way from now on. I keep my broody and chicks in a separate area within the run with their own coop so they can interact with the flock but they’re safe, and it’s easier for me to interact with the chicks and make sure they’re all doing alright (broody mama is sweet even as a mom). I just feel like these broody chicks are so much more vibrant and more hardy than brooder chicks. They’ve endured 32-40 degree nights since hatch and they’re all 3 weeks old and thriving. No pasty butt cleaning or coccidiosis. The eggs were shipped from Ohio to me in California and 6/7 eggs hatched so amazing hatch rates for shipped eggs under a broody! I’m loving having a lot less work but also getting to enjoy chicks! Since my broody mama is sweet, the chicks are too and she lets me handle them to make them more friendly.

Last year I went with my broody and she did an amazing job! This year I had to high of a demand to "wait" for a broody to decide she wanted to sit, and 1 broody just wasn't going to cut it, so I incubated. I'll tell you that all my incubations went really well (I did 4 back to back) but I very much dislike taking care of that may chicks. So I suppose it's all about what will suit your preferences. If you do decide to go the broody route maybe borrow an incubator from someone just in case things don't go as planned so you have a back up.

Back
Top Bottom