Naughty chicken

Chocy_duck

Chirping
Nov 13, 2020
Hello I have 7 chickens in a about a 20 square metre space with a huge house and all there food water and shelter, and they get treats daily, however they keep wanting to jump the fence and do about anything to get over it. They have had there wings clipped but they are so determined. I have put bird spikes on the top of the fence but they still jump over it. They see the ducks out and was wondering if they are jealous. How do you keep them occupied in there enclosure and not get bored. I can't have them out too much as one of our kelpie herds them up. Although lately he has been letting them roam around. Help please? 🎄 merry Xmas

Hello I have 7 chickens in a about a 20 square metre space with a huge house and all there food water and shelter, and they get treats daily, however they keep wanting to jump the fence and do about anything to get over it. They have had there wings clipped but they are so determined. I have put bird spikes on the top of the fence but they still jump over it. They see the ducks out and was wondering if they are jealous. How do you keep them occupied in there enclosure and not get bored. I can't have them out too much as one of our kelpie herds them up. Although lately he has been letting them roam around. Help please? 🎄 merry Xmas

Loved your message, it could have been my little flock you was writing about!!!
Looking for ‘truanting’ chickens in my neighbours large overgrown garden became almost a full time job !
Now we’ve removed as many ‘hopping’ over branches and all wings are clipped, come tea time I rattle a tin and where ever they are they return from, much as I love my girliesI I’ve decided I can’t do anything else to stop two of the most persistent offenders!!!
Either lock them on their pen 24/7 or watch and eliminate escape routes if I can,

The ducks and dogs get along great but our dog chases the chickens around
I'm going to put the dogs in the house today and let them have a free range for a few hours and try that out. I also found a chicken egg outside there pen and maybe thought it could be hers and she wants to go back. I'm new to chickensvso its all a learning curve for me.

Boy can I relate! I have 13 chickens who have a fenced in wooded area large enough to keep two little boys busy exploring.( well almost) There’s nothing these chickens lack for entertainment yet… They are frantic to get to the other side of the fence and start their field trips! Only my darling Cochin and Sultan cannot make it over the fence. I thought when my children were grown and gone so goes the worry and guilt. Oh no it’s still here with the chickens. I worry about the ladies on their adventures and I I feel guilty about the two left behind. I mean how much time do I need to spend sitting on the ground holding them telling them their buddies will return?! Actually Savanna’s , (Cochin)behavior is surprising as she’s so laid-back I’m not sure she’s aware there’s other chickens in the yard with her. Food is her first love so I’m sure she thinks there’s more of it on the other side of the fence. Antoinette the Sultan scurries around like Phyllis Diller just wanting everybody to be in one place. Oh and did I mention my two spoiled 12 year old dogs… More worry more guilt.

Back
Top Bottom