Naughty little owl!

ItsWolfeh

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
This little bugger tried to take off with a rabbit kit months ago (out of the nest box in the cage, believe it or not!) and now apparently it wants the chickens! I went out to check on my goat who will be kidding soon and I heard this very loud and deep hooting, then squawking from the chickens, and then screeching from the owl. I went out to check on them and found everyone alright (I even counted, all 8 are still there) and I shut them away in the coop, after that I didn't hear the owl again and tried looking for him with a flashlight later but didn't see him.

Because this has now been his second, though unsuccessful, attempt, I am very, very worried. If he succeeds, I feel that will only make matters worse and encourage him to do this more. I don't want to kill him, I'm looking more at, what are some good livestock guardian options?

I'm an urban farmer, live in the city but with a large backyard (half an acre). I have my chickens in a small (but not super small) fenced in area. I already have dogs and think the area is too small for another dog (and really I don't want another dog). I was thinking of some mean and nasty geese, has anyone had success with them? I was also thinking of guinea hens but have read owls will take off with them too...

Thanks for reading!

Are you able to put up some kind of wire or netting so nothing can swoop in and grab your birds, you don't have to feed or clean up after netting.

Are you able to put up some kind of wire or netting so nothing can swoop in and grab your birds, you don't have to feed or clean up after netting.

Good idea, methinks. And yeah, you don't have to feed or clean up after netting, especially important when you already have a couple of species of animals on only half an acre.

Geese need grass, but grass that's been trodden and defecated on by dogs, chickens etc is not going to keep them healthy. In too small an environment they can become frustrated and aggressive as the depopulate instinct kicks in to solve their woes, which obviously is just more trouble you don't need.

Netting sounds like the best bet. If you get rid of the owl, another bird of prey will only take its place, so a permanent solution would be best.

I might be able to do netting. What kind of netting do you recommend then, and where would I be able to find it?

Last edited:
The game bird netting? The pen is wider than 12', so I would need the netting that is almost $200... Anything for less than $100?

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'm thinking about this, it has good reviews and a good price (even better on ebay, no $20 shipping).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom