Naughty, nasty birds earn an early trip to freezer camp

The only time I was harassed by a chicken was when I went to my friends house to get some ducklings and a Momma hen that adopted the ducklings attacked me. But even then she did not draw blood.. She was just protecting her babys and I was catching her babys and she did not like it. But she does not attack me now. Just lets it be known she does not like me lol.

Sorry your having a hard time with chickens. Do what you feel needs to be done. I talked to my friend and she says that is normal chicken behaver that they put you on the lower pecking order. She says either try to put yourself on the higher pecking order or cull them. *NOTE* I know nothing of chickens and I am just passing along a message from a 78 year old woman that has had chickens most of her life lol*

Trase, I think you may just have some weird chickens. It would be nice if they are CX's, that would mean you can butcher them any old time now, and they'll be big enough to make some good meals. Bigger meals, if you can put up with them a little longer, but they'd be big enough now. The grocery store birds are mostly 42 days old.

If yours are Cx's, they'd be about perfect rotisserie size by now. We had a big toaster oven with a rotisserie, the home cooked rotisserie birds are so much better than the store bought ones, they don't even compare. They took about 1 1/2hrs, to 1 hr 45 min, depending on size, and one of my favorite ways to cook a chicken. But our toaster oven bit the dust, and we haven't replaced it yet. Soon, though, I want more rotisserie birds!

Since they've had feed 24/7, I have no other explanation for the behavior. I'm skeptical about them thinking you're below them in the pecking order, because your other chickens don't act that way.

I had some Delaware roos that developed some very unsettling behavior. They acted just like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park. I watched them act as a pack, surround, herd, and attack baby chicks. The Delawares were always obviously smarter than other breeds I've raised, and I was greatly impressed. Then the 'raptor behavior started, and suddenly it wasn't so cool anymore.

There were 3 roos, I ate 2, and gave the third to a friend, along with one of the hens. I kept 3 hens, they aren't any trouble. I've had chickens for about 15 years or so, and that was the first time I've seen that particular behavior. I have some young buckeyes, that follow me around and peck my legs. With them, I'm sure they just see me as a 'food scattering device', and they're pecking me trying to make food fall out. It doesn't feel especially aggressive, or like an attack, just an annoyance.

Anyway, best of luck, and do post some pics if you get a chance, I'm very curious now.

I got 3 red sex link hens and 3 meaties that I think was leghorns.The white leghorns all pecked at my red girls,so I eventually got rid of them.My red girls get along well and have laid eggs all winter despite being in a shady/cold metal shed.

If any of my chickens draw blood, they are gone. I don't care if that behavior is natural or not. If I have a choice between my kid and my chicken I'll pick my kid - every time. You're doing the right thing.

Well, here are some photos I managed to get of the little vampires.

IMG_0766-300x225.jpg

IMG_0767-300x225.jpg

IMG_0768-300x225.jpg

I wasn't able to get one of the largest ones for the singled out photo - they were fighting me as I reached in to get them. So bear in mind, the photo of the single bird is one of the smallest of the bunch. there are four others who are much larger and have that really broad breast look I see in photos of the meatie birds.

Regardless of what breed they are, their temperament and behavior makes them unacceptable for us - especially when the rest of the flock is just so well-behaved. So their fate is sealed. But I am curious if there is a possibility that we ended up with Cornish X rather than White Plymouth Rocks. So, what's the consensus - can you tell from these photos?
smile.png

Thanks!

All else aside, here is a processing idea for dealing with lots of smaller birds:

If you want to butcher sooner rather than later, and don't want to spend all that time plucking smaller birds, just skin them all out (cut wing joints and leg joints mid way to facilitate skinning them) and place them directly into a very large soup pot with just enough water to cover all the meat. Boil until the meat falls off the bones. De-bone and package in dinner size packages. Defrost and add to soups, stir fries and any other dish you want chicken for. Takes up very little freezer space and gets all the messy stuff over with quickly.

trase, there is a wide range of chicken behavior. Some of it is really aggressive, at my house any animal that is outright is vicious to people or other animals goes. End of discussion. My orps have been lovely sweet birds, they squawk and act like chickens, but never acted like the leghorns that bit, jumped at our faces and screamed and ran into walls at the tiniest noise. Your birds don’t look like rocks to me, x's or something else but not rocks. I would butcher them now and be happy.

trase, thanks for posting your issue with your flock, this site has been such a help to me over the years its priceless to me and my flock.. dont let a few peoples opinions keep you from posting we all learn new ways to do things and neat tips by learning from others problems... so any way keep posting and good luck...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Did you forget o n e teeny tiny bit of a processing proceedure ? Or do you like a more robust flavor in your dish ?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom