Naughty, nasty birds earn an early trip to freezer camp

This pictures don't look like any of my Cornish Xs' . Mine are twice as wide and have tree trunks for legs. They are also very docile and act as best buds with everone... just eat, drink some water, then make a dive to eat some more, then sleep, walk/ run around a bit. When I had RIR, NHR, and BR along with my Cornish X, the Cornish X were the only one's being picked on. The meanest chickens I ever had were the Jungle fowl that were given to me as chicks ( the kind that are used in cockfighting). Even as young chicks, they tried to kill one another. then the Leghorns. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your input on identifying these buggers.
smile.png

Bossroo - I wish I could get a better shot of the larger ones - because they have really thick legs and wide breasts. My husband and I got busy with other projects last night, so I was taking those photos solo this morning. Maybe I can get better ones tonight. The power steering on one of our vehicles took a dive; that's become a huge priority in terms of things we are working on together, so no guarantee that I can get a chicken photo session into the agenda with him, ha!
lol.png

Whatever the case, they gotta go.
smile.png

Did you forget o n e teeny tiny bit of a processing proceedure ? Or do you like a more robust flavor in your dish ? hmm

Sorry, it wasn't intended to be a play by play description. Of course you still remove oil gland on back of bird and guts you don't want.

I guess I see your point though; someone who hasn't butchered before might not know I thought that was implied in skinning them out.​

Last edited:
Not Cornish X's. Too light. Legs too thin. Either Leghorn or white rock, I'll accept SteveH's note about the white ears, as I have no idea on that part! From the behavior, I'd say Leghorn, Rocks aren't usually so high strung.

Some folks raise leghorns for fryers, I think they butcher at 12-16 weeks. Nothing says you can't do it as soon as you want, if you don't mind them being smaller. Especially since this breed has proven to be such a PITA. They'll still taste like chicken. I wouldn't use a young, tender bird for soup, though, or boil to just use the meat and broth that way. You'll have plenty of older birds, especially roos, from time to time, that are best cooked in the crock pot. The small, young birds, I'd process normally, pluck them and everything, and use them for grilling, BBQ, and frying.

Back
Top Bottom