Neat Trick For Your Heat Lamps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ByrdFeathers, Mar 19, 2018.

1. ByrdFeathers

ByrdFeathers Songster

Jan 8, 2018
    Bruce, FL
    For me I am at work most of the time and I worried that the chicks would either get to hot or two cold. I used of the devices below for a heater in a pool with tilapia a while back and it worked great so I ordered one for my heat lamp. I put the heat sensor on the wall close to where the light hit and set the digital thermometer to desired temp. It will cut on once the temp get 5 degrees lower than what it is set at and go off once temp is reached. Works great. If any of you have a better way using a heat lamp to make sure they do not get over or under heated please share.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I15S6OM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sylviethecochin likes this.
  2. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    Most people here use a MHP, Mama Heating Pad. If you go to search, there are a plethora of threads on it, and a very long one by @Blooie . It's the only thing I have ever used and it works without the *danger* of heat lamps.

blackdog043 likes this.
  3. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Just gonna butt in if I may and ask @Smuvers Farm How much are MHP, and where can I find them? I have been looking for a few days and can't find the product.

Smuvers Farm likes this.
  4. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Smuvers Farm and 21hens-incharge like this.
  5. Shevraeth

Shevraeth Chirping

Jun 12, 2017
    Olathe, KS
    You make them. The heating pads are like ones we would use for sore muscles with an "always on" feature so it doesn't shut off on you. It's wrapped on a wire frame to make a "cave" and maybe wrapped again with a tea towel to lessen the heat. If you read through the thread Kat C posted it has the details. It's a great thread and very informative!

sylviethecochin likes this.
  6. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Smuvers Farm likes this.
  7. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    Birdinhand likes this.
  8. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    If your brooder is big enough and set up correctly, this shouldn't be an issue.

Others have turned this into a MHP thread, that's the way I raise mine in the coop.
    You could put the heat lamp in a storage closet and make a MHP :oops:

Cyprus and sylviethecochin like this.
  9. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    I'd be careful using a heat lamp with a rheostat or thermostat, all that heating and cooling is sure to drastically shorten the life of the bulb. like others have said, I'd scrap it and go for a MHP or one of the heat plates. MHP's are super easy to make and have proven very reliable... heat lamps have an unfortunate track record when it comes to burns and fires.

blackdog043 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: