Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Pics
What do I do with the guineas outside in winter? They are not welcome inside, the female dog thinks she wants guinea tartae or guinea shishkabobs.

Quote:
yup...Marans can lay really dark eggs, however there have been quite a few people that have messed around with them and the egg color on most is shabby, but with work the color can be improved with breeding. I think you are thinking light sussex or columbian pattern, depending on the breed. If you are talking large fowl on the fluffy with feathered feet you are probably talking cochins or maybe possibly brahmas, although they are not quite as puffy.
smile.png

8 by 8 shed, outside measurements, spray foam insulation, plywood that is painted over the foam inside, old corrugated plastic signs over the floor to be easy to clean. Then a run that's 8 by 32 I think. They have electric, no water lines yet.

It's not drafty, but how do I keep the vents open without making it cold in the shed? Is that where they will need a heater? They did not think happy thoughs about the downpour Monday, some were drenched.

Quote:
it will be cold...its just the way it is in winter when raising poultry. Unless you housed them in a completely contained and fully heated space, which not many people do or can afford to do. Poultry are pretty hardy...way more than we are haha. The heater i would say you really only would have to put in on the coldest nights if you decide to go that route

Hey Tarja! You found this forum finally! How are the guineas settling in? Still no luck finding their owner I take it since you got your husband to give up his shed.

You don't want feathered footed birds. You'll spent the rest of the time washing their feet off, just like you do your dogs.

Get Wyandottes, they are big enough the dogs will not be hyper interested and they come in a bunch of the fun colors. Those are the big round chickens we have, not the taller built ones.

Quote:
I was sicker than a dog. I'm so disappointed that I had to miss it. Barely could get out of bed.
hit.gif

awww....thats just too bad! it was a good time! my birds ended up placing well and won some birds on silent auction and won some feed on raffle! maybe you'll be able to make the show in spring. its up in scribner and is a bit smaller show as its a new location but its still a great time.

Back
Top Bottom