Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Pics
Yes, My twins are in that article. The crazy thing is all of those twins and triplets are all seniors too! Do you have kids there? I was looking at your pictures! Wow! You are up and going! I think this warm weather has only fed into the chicken addiction!
smile.png
. Trying to pace myself!
probably doesn't help that the incubator is on my nightstand....LOL. with my new little one up and running around and into everything I am keeping them close and off limits to little hands! You know along with the flashlight so I can periodically check the temp and humidity through the night!
wink.png
. did I mention that my husband is a very tolerant soul?
lol.png

haha awesome! I don't have any kids...just all my crazy animals. They keep me crazy busy, so I can't even imagine how it is with 5 kids and animals!

Yeah. I'm up and running alright. Grew up in a poultry breeding/showing family and moved away at 19 to go to school, and a couple states and several countries later, two degrees, a couple of internships over a 9 year period and ended up back here...doing what? raising poultry. It sure is hard to get it out of your blood...don't think ya really can once you start! Mostly have Marans, Wyandottes and Sussex in various color varieities. Moving into my 3rd breeding season and am very excited to see what the progress for this year will be!

You sound just like me...obsessively checking the incubator!
clap.gif
I'd say your hubby is a keeper for sure!

Just noticed that you did write seniors....believe it or not I have never been to a poultry show in Nebraska. I am from Colorado so we would go to the stock show every year etc. I will most definately be going! would like to try to get my ten year old into 4h . just not real sure how to start the process....

Good! Let me know in a PM if you want to be included in the mailing list for the show info. I am going to try to shoot for getting a website up and eliminate alot of the printing to save costs and postage. Its not til Nov, but being the first time being show secretary for a club in a whole lotta years, I am trying to get the jump on things and would like to see lots of new faces!

I'll see what I can find for you about 4h and will pm you. There is a lady that lives just north of me that is huge into 4H in Waverly. Also, you could call the county extension office to see if there is a group down your way. I would guess there probably is, but just not sure

Oh, and with the club that hosts the show in Lincoln, we try to put a lot of effort into junior showmanship and the kids love it! They always learn a ton and they usually have things all day long on Saturday for the kids to join in and some of the junior awards are pretty sweet. They go by 4H showmanship rules, so it wouldn't be a huge transistion and good practice!

There is also another club that has a show up in Scribner at the end of April as well if you were interested.
wink.png
(told you I was an enabler!)

I will look up info on those shows. thanks for the info! ENABLER...
tongue.png

haha...you might have a bit of trouble finding info on the shows. Neither have websites or much public info as of yet. I am working on the website for one and hope the other club will follow soon, but all a step at a time. Let me know if you want the info. I'll post the info for the one in scribner here for everyone to see and as the other club info comes together I'll keep everyone updated.

I'm in Fremont, so we are not far from each other, Gilavina. Planning on the Scribner show here, since I missed the November show.

Yup, I think we need to get rowdy up in here, let people know we are here. LOL

Its a beautiful day here already, so I'm planning on doing more work on the coop today. Got some painting to do yet, and a few tweeks to keep the litter out of the pop door. Live an learn. Its coming along though.

I'm in Fremont, so we are not far from each other, Gilavina. Planning on the Scribner show here, since I missed the November show.

Yup, I think we need to get rowdy up in here, let people know we are here. LOL

Its a beautiful day here already, so I'm planning on doing more work on the coop today. Got some painting to do yet, and a few tweeks to keep the litter out of the pop door. Live an learn. Its coming along though.

I remember you telling me we weren't far from each other! Yay! Do you have the info for the Scribner show? I got a catalog for it the other day and can get you a copy of it if you want...just PM your addy and I'll get it sent off! We're hoping for lots of new faces at both the shows!

It is really gorgeous today. I have to go to work in about a half an hour and its killing me to be stuck inside! I did get my rowdy bunch of chicks out of the basement and can't even explain how happy I am about that! I will get their mess cleaned up down there and then probably set a few test eggs I've been collecting over the last week. Me thinks spring really might be here early!

Hello All :)

First off, Chickee35, sorry about the loss of your coop :(

It was our first winter here too in Nebraska. It wasn't to bad considering everything we've found out wrong/not up dated with this house. lol I'm sure next winter will be a lot warmer in here!

All 6 of my chickens I got last May, survived without issues. I'm happy about that! Especially when most people talk about the need to have heat and lighting in their coop. Our's does not .. we don't have enough juice (electric) to supply the coop. lol We can't have the heater on in the bathroom and turn on the mircowave without blowing a fuse .. it's all on the same circuit as the frig.

This year we will either be putting on an addition to our coop and building another run on the other side, or build another coop and run .. not sure just yet.

I had the itch to get more chicks back in Nov. Ordered some late Jan, and they arrived in Feb. I ordered 5 pullets, 4 ducklings, and a gosling. The following week, 3 ducklings and my gosling replacements arrived in excellent condition. With the 2 shipments we ended up with 17 packing peanuts! I did not know 2 of the pullets that we thought were dead opon arrival and did die shortly after getting them home, were so tiny, and asked if I could switch the 2 pullets for an additional duckling .. the lady I talked to at Ideal was so nice, and making that change to my ordered was not a problem.
Since getting the ordered babies, we've also bought 5 pullets, and 2 odd looking banties from Orcheln's.
Day before yesterday someone came by that wanted some of our packing peanuts, so 7 have a new home, and the other 10 we'll raise for the freezer.

Looking forward to seeing what the auction in Lexington is like on the 25th.

Hello All :)

First off, Chickee35, sorry about the loss of your coop :(

It was our first winter here too in Nebraska. It wasn't to bad considering everything we've found out wrong/not up dated with this house. lol I'm sure next winter will be a lot warmer in here!

All 6 of my chickens I got last May, survived without issues. I'm happy about that! Especially when most people talk about the need to have heat and lighting in their coop. Our's does not .. we don't have enough juice (electric) to supply the coop. lol We can't have the heater on in the bathroom and turn on the mircowave without blowing a fuse .. it's all on the same circuit as the frig.

This year we will either be putting on an addition to our coop and building another run on the other side, or build another coop and run .. not sure just yet.

I had the itch to get more chicks back in Nov. Ordered some late Jan, and they arrived in Feb. I ordered 5 pullets, 4 ducklings, and a gosling. The following week, 3 ducklings and my gosling replacements arrived in excellent condition. With the 2 shipments we ended up with 17 packing peanuts! I did not know 2 of the pullets that we thought were dead opon arrival and did die shortly after getting them home, were so tiny, and asked if I could switch the 2 pullets for an additional duckling .. the lady I talked to at Ideal was so nice, and making that change to my ordered was not a problem.
Since getting the ordered babies, we've also bought 5 pullets, and 2 odd looking banties from Orcheln's.
Day before yesterday someone came by that wanted some of our packing peanuts, so 7 have a new home, and the other 10 we'll raise for the freezer.

Looking forward to seeing what the auction in Lexington is like on the 25th.
I've never had heat in any of the coops or barn here...birds are pretty hardy and really the only ones you might ever have to worry about would be smaller bantam game girds, like old english, cornish, etc. Sounds like your bird population is increasing nicely! Yay!

Back
Top Bottom