neck wound on baby chick

jawsh

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
just got a couple new little chicks and i put them in a cage inside of my coop with my other 4 month old chicks. i sat there for a while to make sure they would be okay and one of the little ones stuck her head out and one of my big ones got a good peck at her neck! now she has a huge wound on her neck. i have never had to deal with this... i have tried searching and get so many different answers as to what to use to clean/disinfect the wound. please can i get some ideas?? thanks in advance!

please??? anyone??
i cleaned the wound with castile soap and water and put triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. she is in a bin with one other chick, who is pecking at her wound a bit. should i separate them? someone told me to keep them together because she could get more stressed alone... do you guys think she will make it? how often should i clean the wound with soap and water and re apply the ointment?

please??? anyone??
i cleaned the wound with castile soap and water and put triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. she is in a bin with one other chick, who is pecking at her wound a bit. should i separate them? someone told me to keep them together because she could get more stressed alone... do you guys think she will make it? how often should i clean the wound with soap and water and re apply the ointment?

If the other chick is pecking at the wound then you will want to separate her.

Is the bin they are in large enough to make a barrier of hardware cloth - this way the chicks can see each other but the wounded one can't be picked on. If you can't make a barrier then separate her- the other chick will keep working at the wound (cannibalism), keep your wounded chick warm.

As far as the wound care, washing with soap and water is fine. Apply your ointment (like plain neosporin). Feed her as normal and make sure she is drinking. If she seems to be in shock you can offer some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in her water or give a little sugar water.

Wounds usually heal fairly well, so keep it clean and apply your ointment. Watch for signs of infection like pus and odors.

Let us know how she is doing.

Is the bin they are in large enough to make a barrier of hardware cloth - this way the chicks can see each other but the wounded one can't be picked on. If you can't make a barrier then separate her- the other chick will keep working at the wound (cannibalism), keep your wounded chick warm.

As far as the wound care, washing with soap and water is fine. Apply your ointment (like plain neosporin).  Feed her as normal and make sure she is drinking. If she seems to be in shock you can offer some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in her water or give a little sugar water.

Wounds usually heal fairly well, so keep it clean and apply your ointment. Watch for signs of infection like pus and odors.

Thanks so much for your reply! I will do all of those things and update. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the little thing!

As far as the wound care, washing with soap and water is fine. Apply your ointment (like plain neosporin).  Feed her as normal and make sure she is drinking. If she seems to be in shock you can offer some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in her water or give a little sugar water.

I'm happy to say my little chick is doing great so far. Right after it happened, she was definitely in shock. I cleaned her would with soap and water and put triple antibiotic ointment right after it happened. And then again before I went to bed at night. I also gave her some yogurt by putting some on her beak and she would eat it, although very little, I think it helped because she wasn't eating. I also took a medicine dropper and put some electrolyte water in it and put a bit in her beak a few times throughout the day. The next morning it was like it never happened. She was eating/drinking hopping around, scratching around. Oh and I tried separating the two chicks with hardware cloth and the injured chick actually hopped over it to be with her friend! And this was when she was barely moving. So i left them together and just watched for a while. They ended up just snuggling and the healthy one was not pecking at her. I had a brooder lamp with a red bulb(I have heard this helps disguise the blood/wound so maybe this helped?) I'm so glad it is looking like she will pull through. I hope this helps someone who has an injured chick!

I'm happy to say my little chick is doing great so far. Right after it happened, she was definitely in shock. I cleaned her would with soap and water and put triple antibiotic ointment right after it happened. And then again before I went to bed at night. I also gave her some yogurt by putting some on her beak and she would eat it, although very little, I think it helped because she wasn't eating. I also took a medicine dropper and put some electrolyte water in it and put a bit in her beak a few times throughout the day. The next morning it was like it never happened. She was eating/drinking hopping around, scratching around. Oh and I tried separating the two chicks with hardware cloth and the injured chick actually hopped over it to be with her friend! And this was when she was barely moving. So i left them together and just watched for a while. They ended up just snuggling and the healthy one was not pecking at her. I had a brooder lamp with a red bulb(I have heard this helps disguise the blood/wound so maybe this helped?) I'm so glad it is looking like she will pull through. I hope this helps someone who has an injured chick!

Glad to hear she is doing well!

Back
Top Bottom