Necropsy pictures (graphic images), help please..

I forgot to mention, when my hen was diagnosed, the cancer was all through her intestines almost exactly like the photos above and in the link I shared When we were discussing her prognosis with the vet, she said that it (tumors) often travels like this and is inoperable due to becoming so homogenized with their intestines and sometimes nearby organs. My poor girl had gone off her food, and food was her favorite thing in the world, so we knew it was time to euthanize her, RIP.

I'm not so sure I am seeing and leukosis here.

I do not think your deaths are related to Coccidiosis.
You can have fresh poop tested by a vet to rule it out.
I agree with the others...this is probably breed/age related and not something you can fix.

You can send a body in to your state vet, next death, to get a confirmation on what is causing the death.
What state are you in?
I'm in Oklahoma

So my next question is this cancer everyone is talking about... Does it transfer to the egg. And could it be transferred to humans?

So my next question is this cancer everyone is talking about... Does it transfer to the egg. And could it be transferred to humans?

I very much doubt it and I would imagine this hen has not been producing eggs for a little while so you have most likely eaten her eggs by now and therefore little point in even considering it. I'm pretty certain there will be some chickens in commercial egg farms with similar cancers developing but there is no way of knowing until the chicken starts to show symptoms or is butchered.

Thanks it really wasn't that bad. Really weird thing there was no blood?

Blood congeals in the blood vessels after death, so the only time that blood will flow is when the bird is still alive ie during surgery or if a major blood vessel is cut immediately after death but it slows very rapidly in that latter scenario.

No. It is not something you need to worry about in that regard; it is not contagious to other chickens or to people. People safely consume processed birds with this affliction (though often when it progresses to the point of death, the bird is thin and possibly not worth eating anyhow). Eggs are also perfectly safe, if the hen is still trying to lay.

No. It is not something you need to worry about in that regard; it is not contagious to other chickens or to people. People safely consume processed birds with this affliction (though often when it progresses to the point of death, the bird is thin and possibly not worth eating anyhow). Eggs are also perfectly safe, if the hen is still trying to lay.

I figured so. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Thank you for the response

Back
Top Bottom