Necropsy planning

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
My hen died from what I believe to be Mareks disease and roundworms.

Well, we sent another hen off to Uconn and it came back with those things. She started to flop over and we decided putting her down would be best. I have questions.

I have never done a necropsy before, i don’t know what i’m looking for, i don’t know what i need and how long to wait. For people who have done this and have experience, i would love your guidance through this, thanks.

I also want to add something might have been going on with her respiratory system? The little bit of skin behind her nares would go in and out in each breathe and you could often hear her breathe, she had staining around her nares that was blackish and i had to clean.

I may not pursue necropsy as i feel bad doing this to a pet of mine, but i want to for knowledge.

They confirmed you have Marek's disease in your flock.
Are you wanting to know what else cause this new bird to die?
Can you send it to the lab?

They confirmed you have Marek's disease in your flock.
Are you wanting to know what else cause this new bird to die?
Can you send it to the lab?
I’m not interested in sending her to the lab because i know what it will say “Mareks, nematodes, lesions/tumors.” I was intrested in doing it because i plan on being a Avian vet, i want to get over my weak stomach, i want to learn more and the best way to learn the anatomy is to see the anatomy in person.

I’m not interested in sending her to the lab because i know what it will say “Mareks, nematodes, lesions/tumors.” I was intrested in doing it because i plan on being a Avian vet, i want to get over my weak stomach, i want to learn more and the best way to learn the anatomy is to see the anatomy in person.
Perfect! Hold. I'll be right back with a video for you.

Back
Top Bottom